Eight Colombian rebels killed in fightingJuly 29th, 2008 - 4:48 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, July 29 (IANS) At least eight rebels of Colombia’s largest insurgency group were killed Monday in separate clashes with government troops, Spain’s EFE news agency reported. Four rebels belonging to the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) were killed in a clash with security forces near Palmira city of Valle province. A senior FARC leader was among the dead, the army said.
Fighting also broke out near the Florida town of the province. One rebel was killed in the attack.
Two guerrillas of FARC’s 36th Front were killed near Yarumal town in Colombia’s northwestern province of Antioquia and one rebel was killed in Narino area of the province.
Huge cache of arms, ammunition and communication equipments were seized from the rebels by the army.
The FARC is Colombia’s largest leftist guerrilla group and was founded in 1964. The group has an estimated 17,000 fighters.
President Alvaro Uribe’s administration has made fighting the FARC a top priority.
The US and the European Union have designated the FARC as a foreign terrorist organisation.
- 12 rebels die in Colombian air strike - Jul 07, 2010
- Four dead in Colombia bus attack - Jun 21, 2012
- Colombian troops kill rebel blamed for 84 deaths - Apr 18, 2012
- Top Colombian rebel commander killed - Nov 05, 2011
- Two Colombian rebels killed by their own bomb - Jun 08, 2012
- Eight miners killed in Colombia - Apr 09, 2010
- 39 killed in Colombia clashes - Nov 11, 2009
- 22 rebels killed in Colombia - Sep 20, 2010
- Colombian rebels kill 12 soldiers - May 22, 2012
- Colombian Police capture 19 rebels - Nov 12, 2009
- Over 1,000 landmines found in Colombia - May 26, 2010
- Colombian rebels say they are holding French reporter - May 07, 2012
- Guerrillas use dead body in attack in Colombia - Dec 08, 2011
- Colombian rebel, presumed dead, appears in TV interview - Aug 02, 2012
- Bomb strapped to horse wounds two Colombian soldiers - Jul 12, 2011
Tags: antioquia, arms ammunition, bogota, clash, clashes, colombian rebels, efe news agency, farc, florida town, government troops, guerrilla group, guerrillas, insurgency, northwestern province, president alvaro uribe, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, revolutionary armed forces of colombia farc, security forces, terrorist organisation, top priority