Eight arrested in connection with Jerusalem school attackMarch 9th, 2008 - 6:31 am ICT by admin
Tel Aviv, March 9 (DPA) Israeli police have arrested eight people in connection with the shooting at a Jerusalem religious school that left eight students dead, officials have said. Police chief Aharon Franco told Israeli television Saturday evening that the father and a brother of the attacker had also been questioned, but had been released.
It remains unclear whether the shooter, who entered the school Thursday evening and killed eight students and injured 10 others before being shot dead by an Israeli army officer, had acted alone.
The 26-year-old gunman had long planned the attack, gathering multiple weapons and ammunition, the police investigation has found. He had no previous contact with the police and appeared to be a normal man, working as a driver and preparing to marry, Franco said.
Hamas announced over loudspeakers in Gaza mosques Friday that it was claiming responsibility for the shooting attack, but had not issued a written statement formally claiming credit.
An Arab-Israeli group calling itself the Freedom People of the Galilee had earlier told Hezbollah’s al-Manar television in Beirut that it was behind the attack.
The shooter’s family erected a mourning tent in their East Jerusalem neighbourhood Friday, adorned with flags from both Hamas and Hezbollah.
Police in Jordan Saturday prohibited relatives in Amman from erecting a similar mourning tent.
Tags: aharon, al manar television, amman, army officer, claiming responsibility, east jerusalem, galilee, hamas, hezbollah, israeli army, israeli group, israeli police, israeli television, jerusalem school, loudspeakers, mosques, normal man, police investigation, religious school, saturday evening