Egyptian VP, top military leaders planning ‘graceful exit’ for MubarakFebruary 5th, 2011 - 12:12 pm ICT by ANI
Cairo, Feb 5(ANI): Egyptian Vice President Omar Suleiman along with other top military leaders are reportedly discussing steps to limit President Hosni Mubarak’s decision-making authority and possibly remove him from the presidential palace in Cairo.
According to Egyptian and American officials, a transitional government headed by Suleiman would then negotiate with opposition figures to amend Egypt’s Constitution and begin a process of democratic changes.
The officials said that among the ideas that had been discussed were suggesting to Mubarak that he move to his Sharm-el-Sheik home or that he embark on one of his annual medical leaves to Germany for an extended checkup.
They claim that such steps would provide Mubarak with a graceful exit, and enshrine some key democratic principles ahead of elections scheduled for September.
“None of this can happen if Mubarak is at the center of the process. But it doesn’t necessarily require the president to leave office right now,” the New York Times quoted one senior administration official, as saying. (ANI)
- Key events of the 18-day Egyptian uprising - Feb 12, 2011
- Mubarak complicit in shootings of anti-regime protesters in Egypt - Apr 20, 2011
- Egyptian Government to hold talks with Muslim Brotherhood - Feb 06, 2011
- Egypt PM begins talks with Opposition - Feb 03, 2011
- Egyptian government to hold talks with opposition group - Feb 06, 2011
- Mubarak approves committee to amend constitution - Feb 08, 2011
- Egypt's vice president under Mubarak dies in US - Jul 19, 2012
- US plans for Mubarak's immediate exit - Feb 04, 2011
- Mubarak still in Egypt, says PM - Feb 14, 2011
- Assassination attempt on Egypt vice president: Report - Feb 05, 2011
- Unrest swells in Egypt as cornered government bans Al-Jazeera (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2011
- Omar Suleiman's statement on Mubarak's exit - Feb 12, 2011
- Mubarak urged to quit as opposition draws up list of demands (Roundup) - Feb 01, 2011
- Ex-minister of Mubarak regime to face corruption trial - Feb 28, 2011
- Egypt panel 'to study constitutional reform' - Feb 06, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,