Egyptian police find 900 kg explosivesApril 16th, 2009 - 12:44 am ICT by IANS
Al-Arish (Egypt), April 15 (DPA) In two separate incidents, Egyptian security forces Wednesday found an estimated 900 kg of explosives in the Sinai peninsula and arrested three Palestinians for entering Egypt illegally, police said.
The explosives, which were discovered in the Jafjafa region of central Sinai, included 50 kg of TNT and 18 mobile phones that could have been used to detonate the explosives remotely, a source in Egypt’s interior ministry told DPA on condition of anonymity.
Police were reportedly combing the area, looking for other caches of weapons or explosives.
In a separate incident, security forces in northern Sinai arrested three Palestinian men they said had entered Egypt illegally by passing through smuggling tunnels under the Egyptian-Gaza border at the divided town of Rafah, police said.
The men were apprehended in the northern Sinai town of al-Sheikh Zuweid, not far from Rafah, police said.
Egypt has come under intense international pressure, particularly from Israel and the US, to end weapons smuggling from the Sinai peninsula into the Gaza Strip.
- Thousands of Palestinians, aid cross Egypt's border with Gaza - Jun 12, 2010
- Egypt discovers 17 smuggling tunnels to Gaza - Aug 11, 2010
- WikiLeaks: Suleiman told Israel he would 'cleanse' Sinai of arms runners to Gaza - Feb 10, 2011
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
- 32 'criminals' killed in Egypt operation - Sep 09, 2012
- Gaza aid ship docks in el-Arish, awaits instructions - Jul 15, 2010
- Egyptian politician faces military trial for going to Gaza - Feb 04, 2009
- Egypt uncovers tunnels, weapons near Gaza border - Jul 05, 2008
- Egypt foils attempt to smuggle cement into Gaza - Jul 25, 2010
- Israel allows new cars into Gaza for first time in four years - Sep 21, 2010
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Gaza stops Palestinians from approaching Israel border - Jun 05, 2011
- Israeli missile kills militant in Egypt - Aug 27, 2012
- Israeli planes strike Gaza - Sep 16, 2010
Tags: al arish, anonymity, caches, dpa, egypt, egyptian police, explosives, gaza strip, intense international pressure, interior ministry, israel, mobile phones, palestinian men, palestinians, security forces, sheikh, sinai peninsula, tnt, tunnels, weapons