Egypt wins Africa Nations Cup for a record sixth timeFebruary 16th, 2008 - 1:30 am ICT by admin
Accra (Ghana), Feb 11 (Xinhua) Defending champions Egypt defeated Cameroon 1-0 here to clinch the African Nations Cup for a record sixth time. In the history of the African Nations Cup, it is only the third time that a defending champion made a successful title defence. Egypt and Cameroon had earlier achieved the feat in 1959 and 2002 respectively.
Both Mohamed Aboutrika and Amr Zaki Sunday had a few chances of providing Egypt the lead in the first half, but the former stroked the ball wide of the goal and the later whisked it over the crossbar.
Cameroon’s Samuel Eto’o tried to take advantage from a blitz counter-attack, a tactic they successfully used in the semi-final against Ghana, but the Barcelona striker just missed the goal by inches.
After a goal-less first half, Egypt brought in substitute striker Mohamed Zidan into the field, who in the 76th minute scored the only goal of the match with a beautiful touch from a Aboutrika’s pass from the left wing.
Egypt leads the African Nations Cup title win record, while runners up Cameroon has achieved the feat four times so far.
- Milla wants Cameroon's football body sacked - Apr 20, 2012
- Ghana disappointed at semi-final loss in African Cup soccer - Feb 09, 2012
- Eto'o rejects Cameroon's invite - Aug 28, 2012
- Bolton striker Ngog to join Cameroon squad - Mar 13, 2012
- Roger Milla dismissed as honorary president - May 18, 2012
- Cameroon captain Eto'o banned for 15 matches - Dec 17, 2011
- Japan upset Cameroon 1-0 in Group E (Lead) - Jun 15, 2010
- Ghana to play China in international friendly - Jul 21, 2012
- Ghana announce squad for 2014 World Cup qualifiers - May 19, 2012
- Cameroon's 'Indomitable Lions' ready to roar in South Africa (Group E team profile) - May 30, 2010
- Ghanaian Andre Ayew in race for African footballer award - Dec 23, 2011
- Ghana names Maxwell Konadu as assistant coach - May 04, 2012
- Jozy Altidore confident about Anzhi clash - Aug 20, 2012
- Eto'o looms large over Japan-Cameroon opener - Jun 13, 2010
- Botswana, from 'whipping boys' to 'African team of year' - Dec 30, 2011
Tags: accra ghana, africa nations cup, african nations cup, amr, amr zaki, blitz, crossbar, defending champion, left wing, mohamed aboutrika, mohamed zidan, runners, s pass, samuel eto o, sixth time, striker, tactic, third time, title defence, xinhua