Egypt uncovers tunnels, weapons near Gaza borderJuly 5th, 2008 - 9:56 pm ICT by IANS
Rafah (Egypt), July 5 (DPA) Egypt uncovered three tunnels near the Rafah crossing on its border with the Gaza Strip Saturday and seized weapons and explosives in the strategic Sinai peninsula, according to security sources. Police uncovered two tunnels in Barahma, north of the Rafah border crossing and a third tunnel, south of the crossing, the sources said.
Quantities of fuel were found in the tunnels, the sources added without giving further details.
Police also found TNT explosives in Hilwa near the town of Arish in northern Sinai, and nine automatic rifles and ammunition in Muqdaba, in the centre of the peninsula.
The Sinai desert in northeastern Egypt is strategically important because it borders Israel and the Gaza Strip and has been the scene of several wars between the two countries.
Now it is a demilitarised zone in accordance with the peace treaty between the two countries.
Israel has been pressing Egypt to stem weapons smuggling into the Gaza Strip via Sinai. Egyptian authorities regularly uncover weapons caches and tunnels there.
- Egypt discovers 17 smuggling tunnels to Gaza - Aug 11, 2010
- 32 'criminals' killed in Egypt operation - Sep 09, 2012
- Egyptian police find 900 kg explosives - Apr 16, 2009
- Egypt foils attempt to smuggle cement into Gaza - Jul 25, 2010
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Thousands of Palestinians, aid cross Egypt's border with Gaza - Jun 12, 2010
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
- Israeli missile kills militant in Egypt - Aug 27, 2012
- Gaza aid ship docks in el-Arish, awaits instructions - Jul 15, 2010
- Around 16,500 Palestinians cross Egypt's border with Gaza - Jun 25, 2010
- WikiLeaks: Suleiman told Israel he would 'cleanse' Sinai of arms runners to Gaza - Feb 10, 2011
- Israeli planes strike Gaza - Sep 16, 2010
- Israel allows new cars into Gaza for first time in four years - Sep 21, 2010
- Two killed, three missing as Gaza tunnel collapses - Sep 12, 2009
- Blast at Egypt gas pipeline - Feb 05, 2011
Tags: ammunition, arish, automatic rifles, border crossing, borders, demilitarised zone, dpa, egypt, egyptian authorities, gaza strip, israel and the gaza strip, peace treaty, quantities, rafah crossing, security sources, sinai desert, sinai peninsula, tnt explosives, tunnels, weapons caches