Egypt to re-open its historical sites on SundayFebruary 18th, 2011 - 7:20 pm ICT by ANI
Cairo, Feb 18 (ANI): Egypt is to re-open its historical sites on Sunday in a bid to revive its tourism industry after being affected by the political turmoil that ousted President Hosni Mubarak.
The Huffington Post quoted Dr. Zahi Hawass, Minister of State for Antiquities Affairs, as saying in a statement that “all of the Pharaonic, Coptic, Islamic, and modern sites will reopen to the public” on Sunday.
Meanwhile, the antiquities ministry has claimed that a 16-year-old anti-government protester has handed over a rare statue of King Tut’s father, the most important artifact stolen from Cairo’s Egyptian Museum, after recovering it next to a garbage bin.
The ministry officials, however, have reported new cases of robbery at archaeological sites, adding: “There have also been many reports of attacks on archaeological lands through the building of houses and illegal digging.”
Zahi Hawass, head of the Ministry of State for Antiquities, has reported that a total of 18 missing museum artifacts, three of which were found on the museum grounds, possibly abandoned by looters while trying to escape, the paper said.
The ministry also said the Egyptian military has caught thieves trying to loot the sites of Tell el-Basta, and a tomb in Lischt. (ANI)
- Egypt museum treasures being repaired - Feb 08, 2011
- Egyptian pharoah's statue found in trash after two weeks - Feb 17, 2011
- Artefacts stolen from Egypt's national museum - Feb 13, 2011
- Attempt to steal pharaoh's statue foiled in Egypt - Feb 25, 2011
- Egypt opens six ancient tombs to visitors - May 24, 2011
- Statue fragments of King Tut's grandparents unearthed - Jan 11, 2011
- Egypt asks German museum for Nefertiti bust - Jan 25, 2011
- Swiss museum to return 4,000-year-old relic to Egypt - May 13, 2011
- Results of DNA testing on King Tut's mummy to be revealed soon - Feb 01, 2010
- Ancient city in the Egyptian eastern borders unearthed - Apr 26, 2010
- Colourful ancient tombs unearthed in Egypt - Jul 08, 2010
- 5,000-year-old wooden boat discovered in Egypt - Jul 26, 2012
- Headless granite statue of ancient Egypt king discovered - May 05, 2010
- 57 ancient tombs found in Egypt - May 24, 2010
- Archaeologists find an unfinished ancient tomb in Egypt - Jul 01, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,