Egypt presidential polls in June 2012November 23rd, 2011 - 7:13 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, Nov 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Presidential elections in Egypt will be held in June 2012, the country’s military council has announced.
“Parliament elections will be carried out according to the earlier scheduled terms, while presidential elections will occur by the end of June 2012,” said Marshal Hussein Tantawi, chairman of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces.
On Tuesday, the military council and representatives of several political parties and civil movements agreed to transfer power to civil authorities no later than June 30, 2012.
Rallies in the country demanding a speedy transition to democratically-elected authorities began Friday and turned violent Saturday. Violent clashes between protesters and police continued throughout the weekend, forcing the country’s entire cabinet to step down Monday.
The toll in the protests rose to 28 Tuesday, the official MENA news agency said.
- Egypt protests continue despite authorities' concessions - Nov 23, 2011
- Egypt president orders defence minister to retire - Aug 13, 2012
- Egypt to lift three decades old state of emergency - Jan 25, 2012
- Top military dismissals are in Egypt's interests: Morsi (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Egyptian army to hand over power May 24 - May 03, 2012
- Islamist parties sweep Egyptian election - Jan 22, 2012
- Egypt parliamentary polls to begin Nov 21 - Sep 18, 2011
- Egypt after a year of civilian uprising - Jan 25, 2012
- Egypt's military rulers dissolve parliament, suspend constitution (Roundup) - Feb 14, 2011
- Egypt's ruling military council chief meets president hopefuls - Nov 27, 2011
- One year on, Egyptians back at Tahrir Square (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Egypt's military unveils schedule of power transfer - Oct 03, 2011
- 'Mount indefinite protests over lenient Mubarak sentence' - Jun 03, 2012
- Emergency re-imposed due to Egypt's security situation: Tantawi - Oct 03, 2011
- Egypt dissolves parliament, constitution, military consolidates control - Feb 14, 2011
Tags: armed forces, cairo, civil authorities, marshal, mena, military council, news agency, parliament elections, political parties, presidential elections in egypt, presidential polls, protesters, protests, rallies, ria novosti, speedy transition, supreme council, tantawi, violent clashes, violent saturday