Egypt holds parleys to renew truce in GazaDecember 20th, 2008 - 10:36 pm ICT by IANS
Ramallah, Dec 20 (Xinhua) The Egyptian leadership has launched intensive talks to renew a truce between Israel and Palestine in the Gaza Strip, a senior Fatah movement official said Saturday. The truce ended Friday.Azzam el-Ahmed, head of the Fatah movement in the Palestinain parliament, said that Egypt has launched intensive talks with all parties concerned to renew the ceasefire agreement.
Earlier, the Islamist Hamas group, which controls the coastal strip, said it was unilaterally ending the ceasefire.
“I expect that the truce with Israel will be renewed within the next few days,” el-Ahmed said.
Egypt had brokered a truce between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip which came into effect June 19.
El-Ahmed, however, denied in media statements that the truce was over.
Meanwhile Hamas leader in Gaza, Atef Odwan, said in a statement that there was a possibility of renewing the truce with Israel in Gaza.
“The renewal of the truce should be agreed upon through a fair mediator even if this mediator is an European,” Odwan said.
Hamas led militant groups want Israel to completely lift the blockade imposed on the Gaza Strip, including Rafah crossing bordering Egypt, before it ends rocket attacks on the Israelis.
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas reach agreement on reconciliation - Apr 28, 2011
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Hamas, Fatah leaders to finalize reconciliation deal - Oct 13, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah to finalise unity government talks next week - Jun 15, 2011
- Hamas accepts Egypt's proposed inter-Palestinian reconciliation - Oct 17, 2009
- Palestinian women protest in support of hunger striker - Mar 08, 2012
- Egypt opens Rafah crossing for stranded Palestinians - May 15, 2010
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011
- Palestinian reconciliation talks in 'final stages': Hamas - Jan 04, 2010