Egypt court sentences 14 Islamists to deathAugust 15th, 2012 - 9:05 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, Aug 15 (IANS) A criminal court in Egypt has sentenced 14 Islamists — members of the Tawhid and Jihad movement — to death, after convicting them of attacking a police station and a bank last year, Xinhua reported.
The Criminal Court in Ismailia issued death sentences to 14 out of 25 accused.
They were convicted of attacking the Arish police station and breaking into an Alexandria Bank branch in North Sinai in June-July last year, and killing seven officers and soldiers.
The verdict for the other 11 accused will be announced in a court session Sep 24.
The Tawhid and Jihad is a hard-line extremist movement.
- Ukrainian, two Israelis get life term in Egypt - Mar 13, 2012
- Five killed as gunmen attack police station in Egypt's Sinai - Jul 30, 2011
- 25 Chinese nationals held in Egypt - Feb 01, 2012
- Mubarak aide gets seven years in prison - May 28, 2012
- Saudi embassy attacks: Egyptian cop gets five years in jail - Aug 26, 2012
- Ousted President Mubarak and sons referred to Egyptian criminal court - May 24, 2011
- American tourists kidnapped in Egypt - Jul 14, 2012
- 20 held in Egypt for attacks on police - Aug 19, 2011
- 32 'criminals' killed in Egypt operation - Sep 09, 2012
- Hosni Mubarak gets life term - Jun 02, 2012
- Ex-Egyptian president gets jail for life (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Mubarak's trial to be held every day - Jan 03, 2012
- Egypt discovers 17 smuggling tunnels to Gaza - Aug 11, 2010
- Egypt's Islamists lead Tahrir Square protests - Jul 30, 2011
- Egyptian police officer sentenced to death - May 23, 2011
Tags: alexandria, cairo, court sentences, court session, criminal court, death sentences, egypt, extremist movement, islamists, north sinai, police station, tawhid and jihad, tawhid and jihad movement, xinhua