Edited “n-word” in ‘Huckleberry Finn’ stirs heated debateJanuary 6th, 2011 - 6:19 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan 6 (ANI): A heated debate has started after a new version of Mark Twain’s book ‘The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn’ was published without use of the “n-word”.
Most schools have stopped using the book as it contains offensive language, but now it seems even the new sanitized version is not welcome.
Twain’s classic book uses racial slurs, words customary for his time, and on one page wrote the n-word six times.
Some believe each use of the n-word should be edited out and replaced with the word “slave”.
Allan Gribben is a Twain scholar at Auburn University at Montgomery and will publish a new edition of Twain’s classic without the n-word.
“Seems to me I’m doing something constructive by simply eliminating a word that’s a clear barrier for many people,” CBS News quoted Gribben as saying.
In the entire book, Twain used the n-word 219 times, deliberately, to spotlight 19th century racism, and Morehouse University’s David Wall Rice says the words actually help Americans face the issue of racism.
“That word meant something. That word means something. We have to have the discussion about it. We can’t skate over it,” Rice said.
Rice went on to says the n-word makes people uncomfortable which helps teach.
“If you’re going to move forward there’s going to be some agitation, right?” Rice asked.
“You want to make sure that’s going to disturb the equilibrium, at least a little bit, or there’s not going to be any growth,” he stated. (ANI)
- 'Autobiography of Mark Twain' a big hit across US - Nov 20, 2010
- Why adults read young adult and kids' literature - Sep 26, 2010
- Mark Twain to tell all - 100 years after death - May 24, 2010
- Mark Twain's link with 'filthy-minded, salacious' secy revealed in memoirs - Jun 12, 2010
- Banned Books Week festival on at the American library Association - Sep 27, 2010
- Talk Radio Host Dr. Laura Schlessinger Expresses Apology For N-Word Rant - Aug 13, 2010
- Shania Twain to document affair pain in autobiography - Sep 23, 2010
- Dr. Laura Expresses Remorse For Stating N-word On The Air - Aug 13, 2010
- Bill Maher Drops N-Word on Larry King Live - Sep 18, 2010
- Dr. Laura Schlessinger To End Radio Career Over N-Word Controversy - Aug 19, 2010
- Ferrari's ultimate opus super-book comes with a 275,000 dollar price tag! - Mar 24, 2011
- Bentley and publishers Hodder and Stoughten come out with 1500 dollar limited 007 book - Apr 27, 2011
- I'm translating Mahabharata for young English-speaking readers: Bibek Debroy - Jul 01, 2012
- Tory councillor Bob Frost suspended after racist comments on Facebook - Aug 19, 2011
- CNN apologizes for playing an inappropriate song, which featured the N-word - May 28, 2010
Tags: 19th century, adventures of huckleberry finn, agitation, auburn university at montgomery, cbs, cbs news, equilibrium, gribben, little bit, mark twain, morehouse university, n word, new edition, offensive language, racial slurs, racism, s david, scholar, six times