Ecuadorian president to quit if proved links with Colombian rebelsMay 18th, 2008 - 7:41 pm ICT by admin
Quito, May 18 (Xinhua) Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa has said he would step down from office if it is proved that he had ties with Colombia’s largest leftist insurgency group. “If I had the most minimal relation with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), I will resign as president,” Correa said in his weekly radio address Saturday.
“We have never received illegal (campaign) contributions.”
The president said he handed over proof of his innocence to the Organisation of American States amid accusations that he had received financial contributions from FARC during his presidential campaign in 2006.
Colombian President Alvaro Uribe was leading a smear campaign against him, Correa said.
Colombian troops bombed a FARC base in Ecuadorian territory March 1 and seized computers belonging to the group’s No. 2 leader Raul Reyes, who was killed in the raid.
Ecuador broke relations with Colombia after the incident, claiming that the raid violated its sovereignty.
Colombia filed a petition urging Interpol (international police agency) to inspect the computers, which supposedly has contents showing links between Venezuelan and Ecuadorian governments and the rebel group.
Interpol Thursday released a report confirming the authenticity of the computer documents, which Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez called a “clown show”.
- Ecuador, Colombia unfreeze relations - Feb 12, 2010
- Ecuador may export electricity to Colombia, Venezuela - Feb 19, 2010
- South American nations upset over US plans for Colombia - Aug 08, 2009
- Venezuela, Colombia liberalise bilateral trade - Nov 29, 2011
- Colombian rebels kill 12 soldiers - May 22, 2012
- Chavez hails Colombian hostage rescue, wishes talks with Uribe - Jul 04, 2008
- Venezuela, Colombia agree to resume relations - Aug 11, 2010
- South America backs Ecuador's asylum offer to Assange - Aug 20, 2012
- Betancourt urges Lula to help Colombia mend diputes with neighbours - Jul 10, 2008
- Ecuador, Colombia to restore ties - Nov 14, 2009
- Venezuela freezes relations with Colombia - Jul 30, 2009
- Ecuador yet to decide on Wikileaks founder's asylum - Aug 15, 2012
- Time needed to restore ties with Colombia: Ecuador - Mar 09, 2008
- Ecuador expels Colombian envoy over cross-border action - Mar 03, 2008
- Female Colombian snipers defending Gaddafi in Libya - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: clown show, colombian president, colombian rebels, computer documents, farc, financial contributions, hugo chavez, illegal campaign contributions, international police agency, organisation of american states, president hugo chavez, president rafael correa, radio address, rafael correa, raul reyes, rebel group, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, smear campaign, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez