Eating fish can reduce blindness risk by halfMarch 15th, 2011 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 15 (IANS) Eating fish just once or twice a week could reduce the risk of suffering from the most common form of blindness by nearly half.
Research shows that eating omega-3 fatty acids, most commonly found in tinned salmon and tuna, can help prevent the onset of age-related macular degeneration (AMD), a condition that leads to the gradual loss of vision.
This finding backs up previous research which showed similar results in men. William Christen, of the Harvard Medical School, the US, who led the study said that “dark meat” fish appeared to help the most, the Telegraph reports.
“This lower risk appeared to be due, primarily, to consumption of canned tuna fish and dark-meat fish,” said Christen.
The disease, which mainly effects people over 40, robs sufferers of their sight by creating a black spot in the centre of their vision which slowly gets bigger.
With the number of AMD sufferers expected to treble in the next 25 years as the population ages, there is an urgent need for a breakthrough.
The team at Harvard Medical School piggybacked on another study of more than 38,000 women to obtain the findings. All the participants began the study AMD-free.
- Eating fish 'cuts women's eyesight loss risk in old age' - Mar 15, 2011
- Eating oily fish keeps blindness at bay - Dec 02, 2010
- Omega-3 in seafood may protect seniors' eyes - Dec 02, 2010
- Eating oily fish may benefit people with age-related macular degeneration - Jun 09, 2009
- What's good for women's heart? Baked mackerel! - May 25, 2011
- Salmona, tuna 'protects against age-related macular degeneration' - Jun 19, 2009
- Daily dose of nutrients could save your sight - Jul 02, 2010
- Vitamin A pill could protect the sight of millions - Oct 18, 2010
- How omega-3 fatty acids keep blindness at bay - Feb 10, 2011
- Grapes can stave off age-related blindness - Jan 15, 2012
- Drugs to treat age-related blindness - Feb 07, 2011
- Smoking 'worsens age-related macular degeneration' - Dec 31, 2009
- Pot-bellied men run risk of going blind - Apr 03, 2011
- Prosthetic retina shows promise in restoring sight - May 18, 2012
- Stem cell therapy for age-related macular degeneration may soon be a reality - Mar 25, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,