East Asia summit welcomes revival of Nalanda UniversityOctober 25th, 2009 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
Hua Hin (Thailand), Oct 25 (IANS) The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Sunday welcomed India’s initiative to revive the Nalanda University in Bihar, noting that the varsity was a “great ancient centre of learning”.
The heads of the ASEAN member states “are deeply impressed with the sanctity and significance of the great ancient centre of learning in Nalanda that attracted many scholars from South, South-East and East Asia,” read a joint press statement of the fourth East Asia Summit held in this Thai resort.
“They noted that the Nalanda University was a great centre of intellectual activity in Buddhist philosophy, mathematics, medicine and other disciplince,” the statement said.
Appreciating the contribution and recommendations of the members of the Nalanda mentor group, headed by Nobel laureate Amartya Sen, towards the establishment of the university, the statement called for “appropriate funding arrangements on voluntary basis from governments and other sources including public-private partnership”.
The joint statement also supported the idea of establishing the university as a “non-state, non-profit, secular and self-governing international institution with a continental focus that will bring together the brightest and the most dedicated students from all countries of Asisa”.
The university will “enable” its students “to acquire liberal and human education and give them the means needed for pursuit of intellectual, philosophical, historical and spiritual studies and thus achieve qualities of tolerance and accommodation,” said the statement.
- Lok Sabha nod to Nalanda university - Aug 26, 2010
- Amartya Sen in Bihar for Nalanda meeting - Jul 18, 2012
- India calls for greater connectivity with ASEAN (Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- Nalanda University will be an international institution, says Manmohan Singh - Oct 24, 2009
- Rajya Sabha passes bill to rebuild Nalanda University (Lead) - Aug 21, 2010
- India for greater connectivity in southeast Asia - Mar 03, 2011
- Amartya blames 'bureaucratic control' for delay in Nalanda varsity - Oct 08, 2011
- Singapore Buddhist groups to help finance Nalanda university - Aug 03, 2010
- Primary education in India: Learn from ASEAN, says Amartya - Jul 21, 2012
- China to help develop Nalanda International University: Envoy - Jan 21, 2011
- Nalanda University Bill introduced - Aug 12, 2010
- Padma for Singapore ex-minister with Nalanda connect - Jan 25, 2012
- India signs Free Trade Agreement with ASEAN members - Oct 24, 2009
- India to enhance ties with East Asia (Lead) - Oct 23, 2009
- Setting up new Nalanda a challenging task: Amartya Sen - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,