Earthquake In Hawaii Did Not Cause Any Civic DamageNovember 24th, 2010 - 7:54 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Nov 24, (THAINDIAN NEWS) It started with an initial jolt and then the real treble put Hawaii into turbulence. The earthquake that hit Hawaii at 6:34 PM yesterday, shook the tiny island like never before. The earth quake came up with a magnitude of magnitude 4.7 as reported by The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.
Sources say that the earth quake was recorded in the Maui region between Maui and the Big Island. The approximate coordinates at the Maui region was between 20.4667,-156.6457 while that at the Big Island was 20.1352,-156.0580. It lasted for six seconds only. The earth quake was however strong enough to be felt by all the residents through out the island. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center pointed the main tremble at the Kahoolawe island. However, according to the U.S. Geological Survey, the earthquake had a magnitude of 4.7 and it was located about 9.5 miles or 15.3 km away from Kahoolawe. The epicenter of the earth quake was at 20.590N, 156.550W. This location may be defined as 155 km or 96 miles, (ESE 121) away from Honolulu and 16 km or 10 miles (South West 226) from Wailea-Makena.
The reports so far has said that no Tsunami has been reported yet and there is least possibility of a Tsunami to happen. Therefore, as of now, the people need not panic. No additional data regarding the earthquake has been received so far. No casualties have or damage of properties have been reported from any part of the island yet. However, the official websites of U.S. Geological Survey has said that it will keep on updating the news, as they receive more inputs from the region.
- Hawaii Rocked By 4.7 Magnitude Earthquake - Nov 25, 2010
- New Zealand's Kermadec Islands struck by massive quakes - Jul 07, 2011
- 7.3 magnitude earthquake strikes Fiji - Sep 16, 2011
- Quake hits Papua New Guinea - Jul 21, 2010
- Powerful quake off Philippines triggers small tsunami - Aug 31, 2012
- 7.2-magnitude quake hits Guam - Aug 14, 2010
- Deep 6.8-magnitude earthquake strikes off East Timor; no damage - Aug 30, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes off Tonga, no damage reported - Dec 26, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, no tsunami warning - Jan 29, 2012
- Strong 6.4-magnitude earthquake jolts the Pacific Ocean near Tonga - Sep 23, 2011
- Massive tsunami kills 23 in Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes the South Pacific Ocean - Jun 17, 2010
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Tsunamis strike Japan after enormous earthquakes, casualties reported - Mar 11, 2011
- 8.8 quake hits Japan, triggers tsunami (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: casualties, coordinates, earth quake, earthquake in hawaii, epicenter, initial jolt, kahoolawe island, kar, magnitude, meena, pacific tsunami warning, pacific tsunami warning center, six seconds, tiny island, treble, tremble, tsunami warning center, turbulence, u s geological survey, wailea