Earthquake hits Kashmir, northern Pakistan (Lead)February 20th, 2009 - 11:57 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar/Islamabad, Feb 20 (IANS) An earthquake of moderate intensity rocked the Kashmir Valley in India as well as the Pakistani capital Islamabad Friday morning, triggering panic among residents.
“The earthquake occurred at 9.18 a.m. and measured 5.5 on the Richter scale,” T.K. Jotshi, assistant director of the weather office in Srinagar, told IANS.
“Its epicentre was 34.3 degrees north latitude and 73.9 east longitude near the India-Pakistan border in Kashmir,” he added.
“I was in my bedroom when the bed started rocking. I ran out of my home in panic,” said Bashir Ahmed, a doctor who lives on the outskirts of Srinagar.
In Pakistan, the tremor was felt in capital Islamabad and the adjoining garrison city of Rawalpindi, Pakistan-controlled Kashmir, Peshawar, the capital of the North West Frontier Province, and other parts of the country, DAWN NEWS reported.
The epicentre of the quake was 92 km northeast of Islamabad, the US Geological Survey said in its website. It calculated the intensity at 5.7 on the Richter scale.
- Tremors rock Kashmir Valley, northwest Pakistan (Third Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Earthquake rocks Kashmir Valley - Feb 20, 2009
- Temblor shakes Kashmir, Pakistan, Afghanistan; no loss of life (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2011
- Quake rocks Kashmir - Sep 24, 2011
- Moderate intensity tremor rocks Kashmir (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- 5.7 magnitude earthquake in Kashmir - Mar 21, 2011
- Earthquake jolts Kashmir - Jul 27, 2011
- Moderate earthquake jolts Jammu and Kashmir - Aug 14, 2012
- 5.6-magniude quake jolts Pakistan - Mar 21, 2011
- Moderate intensity quake rocks Kashmir - Mar 31, 2012
- Moderate quake recorded in Kashmir - Apr 01, 2011
- Magnitude 4.9 quake hits Kashmir valley - May 14, 2011
- Moderate quake jolts Jammu and Kashmir - Mar 23, 2011
- 5.6 magnitude quake felt in Kashmir Valley - Jul 19, 2012
- Moderate intensity quake jolts Kashmir (Lead) - Jan 24, 2011
Tags: bashir, capital islamabad, country dawn, dawn news, east longitude, epicentre, frontier province, garrison city, india pakistan, kashmir, kashmir valley, moderate intensity, north latitude, north west frontier, northern pakistan, pakistan border, rawalpindi pakistan, richter scale, us geological survey, weather office