Early JRR Tolkien work set for releaseFebruary 19th, 2009 - 11:44 am ICT by ANI
London, Feb 19 (ANI): An early, unpublished work by Lord of the Rings author JRR Tolkien is set to hit bookshelves this spring.
On Tuesday, publisher Houghton Mifflin Harcourt announced that Tolkien’’s The Legend of Siguard and Gudrun, featuring notes by the author’’s youngest son, Christopher Tolkien, will be released in May.
The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun, a reworking in verse of old Norse epics, predates Tolkien’’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy, reports the BBC.
The book was written at least 80 years ago.
Tolkien, who published The Hobbit in 1937 and followed with his The Lord of the Rings trilogy, died in 1973.
His books have sold more than 200 million copies worldwide.
The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun was written in the 1920s and 1930s, when the author was teaching at Oxford University. (ANI)
- “The Hobbit”: The Most Expensive Film Till Date - Oct 12, 2010
- Cate Blanchett joins 'The Hobbit' cast - Dec 09, 2010
- Elijah Wood to star in 'The Hobbit' - Jan 10, 2011
- It's official: Elijah Wood is starring in 'The Hobbit' - Jan 10, 2011
- Titles for new Hobbit' movies get thumbs up from fans - Mar 09, 2011
- Peter Jackson in talks over third 'Hobbit' film - Jul 17, 2012
- Del Toro Is No Longer The Director Of The Hobbit - Jun 02, 2010
- Del Toro not directing 'The Hobbit' - May 31, 2010
- Jackson offers chance to visit 'Hobbit' sets - Dec 26, 2011
- The International Federation of Actors Calls For An International Boycott Of "The Hobbit" - Sep 27, 2010
- Peter Jackson to start shooting 'The Hobbit' next year - Oct 16, 2010
- Lord of the Rings' director Peter Jackson knighted - Jan 02, 2010
- Michael Jackson named top earning dead celebrity - Oct 27, 2010
- Peter Jackson confirms 'The Hobbit' will be split into two parts - May 11, 2009
- 'The Hobbit' is on track: Sir Ian Mckellen - Jun 15, 2010
Tags: 1920s, 1930s, bbc, bookshelves, christopher tolkien, epics, harcourt, hobbit, houghton mifflin, jrr tolkien, london feb, lord of the rings, lord of the rings author, lord of the rings trilogy, oxford university, release london, siguard, sigurd, unpublished work, youngest son