Earliest known winery found in Armenian caveJanuary 11th, 2011 - 10:33 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Yerevan, Jan 11 (THAINDIAN NEWS) An Armenian home may be home to the oldest winery in the history of the world.
International team of experts that descended on the location have managed to locate the winery which is surprisingly in great shape after estimated 6,000 years. Among the items that were found in the winery are jars, grape pressing vat, drinking bowls and cups.
The findings were made by a team of researchers including Gregory Areshian of the University of California, Los Angeles, who was the co-director of the excavation. The findings were announced by the National Geographic Society and were published in the online edition of the journal, Journal of Archaeological Science.
This is the first time that a winery that dates back that far has been uncovered. There is no doubt that drinking of wine have been around for a very long time. The well preserved winery reveals the sophistication that has been used over the years to make wines.
Researchers have descended on Armenia to try and find evidence of ancient living. The location where the winery was uncovered was dubbed Areni-1. The location is the same place where researchers found what is believed to be the oldest leather shoe in the world. The shoe was found and reported last summer and it is believed to be at least 5,500 years old.
- Scientists uncover oldest known human brain from Old World in Armenian cave - Jan 13, 2009
- World's oldest shoe found in Armenian cave - Jun 10, 2010
- World's oldest leather shoe found - Jun 10, 2010
- Cheers! Karnataka to brew more wines for global markets - Mar 01, 2012
- Oldest leather shoe found in a cave in Armenia - Jun 10, 2010
- Armenia is the motherland of metallurgy, wine-making and horse breeding - Jul 06, 2010
- Wine tours - a whole new weekend getaway (With Images) - Mar 02, 2011
- Man jailed for life for killing Russian soldiers - Jun 01, 2012
- Historian claims Stonehenge has Armenian links - Feb 10, 2009
- Mysterious allergen in wine that causes headaches, stuffy noses identified - Nov 18, 2010
- Remains of world's oldest human brain found in Armenia - Oct 01, 2009
- Glass of red wine can help regulate diabetes - Nov 22, 2010
- World's Oldest Leather Shoe Discovered in Armenia - Jun 10, 2010
- Indian winemakers to compete with West at London Wine Fair - May 16, 2010
- Drink red wine for healthier life - Jul 31, 2010
Tags: armenia, bowls, california los angeles, co director, excavation, great shape, journal of archaeological science, leather shoe, long time, national geographic, national geographic society, no doubt, sophistication, team of experts, university of california, university of california los angeles, wine, wines