E-commerce to make even bigger gainsMarch 28th, 2012 - 4:12 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, March 28 (IANS) China aims to double the value of its e-commerce sales to 18 trillion yuan ($2.86 trillion) by the end of 2015, which would make it the leading market for global e-commerce.
That’s according to an E-commerce 12th Five-Year Plan (2011-15) that was released Tuesday by the Ministry of Industry and IT, China Daily reported Wednesday.
China, with 513 million Internet users, is home to more residents who are online than the US, according to a China Internet Network Information Centre.
“During the 11th Five-Year Plan (2005-10), the growth rate for China’s e-commerce sales increased by an average of 250 percent, reaching 4.5 trillion yuan by the end of 2010,” the ministry said.
In 2010, about 161 million Internet users purchased 513.1 billion yuan in goods online, an amount making up 3.3 percent of the value of all retail sales in China.
“E-commerce has expanded into various industries such as the agriculture, trading, transportation, finance and travel industries and is merging with China’s substantial economy,” the plan said.
China is expected to surpass Japan and the US in three years to become the country with the world’s largest market for online goods and services.
- China's e-commerce turnover up 22 percent in 2010 - Jan 19, 2011
- China's foreign trade to top $4.8 trillion in 2015 - Jan 04, 2012
- China's e-commerce volume surged to 2.25t Yuan in first half of 2010 - Aug 18, 2010
- 152 mn 3G users in China - May 18, 2012
- China probes preserved fruit additives - Apr 26, 2012
- China's e-commerce giant hives off reward points service - Dec 20, 2011
- China online mobile phone sales soar - Sep 21, 2012
- China's online game market hits $7 bn mark - Apr 02, 2012
- China's foreign trade to top $2.9 trillion in 2010 - Dec 17, 2010
- China predicts new surge in ODI - Jan 05, 2012
- China to tighten web rules as users cross 500 mn - Sep 12, 2012
- China to face power shortage - Feb 27, 2012
- Eco-friendly tech expo opens in China - Nov 26, 2011
- Employment News to be available as e-paper, SMS alerts - Jul 17, 2012
- China's telecommunication sector revenue up - Feb 07, 2012
Tags: 1 billion, agriculture, beijing, china daily, china internet network, economy, five year plan, internet users, japan, leading market, network information centre, retail sales, transportation finance, travel industries, trillion, yuan