Dying baby girl revives after life support machine is switched offJune 20th, 2009 - 6:15 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jun 20 (ANI): A baby girl, who had been given just a one per cent chance of survival, surprised doctors when she made a miraculous recovery after her life support machine was switched off.
Grace Vincent had been struck down with a rare form of the brain disease at just six weeks old, and spent four days on the brink of death before her mother and father took the agonising decision to turn off her life support machine.
Her father Pete Vincent, a Royal Marine Commando, and mother Emily told how they had kissed their baby goodbye for the last time as they prepared to face the inevitable.
Both had been warned by doctors to expect to hear their little girl’s “last gasping breaths”, but as her grieving mother cradled her in her arms and waited for their tiny daughter to fade away, Grace incredibly began to take tentative breaths on her own.
She continued her miraculous recovery, and was on June 19 discharged from the hospital in Newcastle.
“Everyone has been calling her Amazing Grace,” the Daily Express quoted Emily Ashurst as saying.
The blue-eyed little girl has been “cooing” at her loved ones - and has even started crying, which Emily yesterday described as “the nicest sound in the world”.
“The decision to turn off her life support machine was based on what the doctors were telling us. The scan results were very bad so we thought it would be best for her,” an overjoyed Pete said.
“We were told she would take a few last breaths. But she kept stopping breathing and starting again for the next six hours.
“Six months in Afghanistan was easy compared to that,” he added. (ANI)
- Miracle Oz mum's 2 hours of loving cuddles brings dead son back to life! - Aug 27, 2010
- Battered baby remains critical, police hunt for parents (Roundup) - Jan 27, 2012
- Baby Falak back on ventilator, still critical: Doctor - Feb 12, 2012
- Chinese toddler who fell out of 10th floor window remains in coma - Jul 08, 2011
- Baby Falak remains on ventilator, still critical - Feb 13, 2012
- Mum's cuddle brings new-born back to life - Aug 27, 2010
- Baby Falak back on ventilator support - Feb 05, 2012
- We will help battered baby: Dikshit - Jan 27, 2012
- Battered two-year-old baby recovering (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Falak responding to treatment, still critical: Doctor - Feb 29, 2012
- Battered baby critical, woman claims to be relative (Second Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Battered baby still critical, police hunt for parents (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Battered baby critical, woman claims to be relative (Third Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Battered by father, Bangalore baby dies (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Aaron Denham wakes up from coma & makes a miraculous recovery - Aug 22, 2011
Tags: amazing grace, ashurst, baby girl, baby goodbye, brain disease, breaths, brink of death, daily express, emily, last time, little girl, miraculous recovery, mother and father, newcastle, one per cent, overjoyed, royal marine commando, scan results, six hours, six weeks