Dwight Howard, Kobe Bryant lead All-Star game votingDecember 26th, 2008 - 1:42 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Dec 26 (DPA) Holiday shoppers stuffing Christmas stockings found time to fill ballot boxes for top basketball players Dwight Howard and Kobe Bryant.Howard, the Orlando Magic centre, and reigning league Most Valuable Player Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers top the Eastern Conference and Western Conference, respectively, in the latest NBA All-Star voting results released Thursday.
Howard, pulling down an NBA-best 13.9 rebounds, has collected the most votes overall at 1,421,882. Bryant, who has led the Lakers to a Western Conference-best 23-5 record, accumulated 1,280,912 votes.
Cleveland Cavaliers LeBron James, who earned MVP honours in last year’s All-Star game, is the third overall vote-getter (1,259,764). Meanwhile, Kevin Garnett (905,506) of the defending NBA champion Boston Celtics holds down the other forward spot.
Miami Heat’s Dwayne Wade, the NBA’s leading scorer (29.0) heads all Eastern Conference guards with 1,229,858 votes, followed by Detroit Pistons Allen Iverson (858,469).
Rounding out the Western Conference were China’s Yao Ming (1,114,709) at centre, while Houston Rockets’ teammate Tracy McGrady (746,098) joins Bryant in the backcourt. San Antonio Spurs Tim Duncan (903,311) and Phoenix Suns Amare Stoudemire (626,796) top the forwards.
Voting will continue through Jan 11 for paper balloting and Jan 19 for online and wireless balloting, leading to the All-Star game, scheduled for February 15 in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Kobe Bryant is suffering from concussion - Feb 29, 2012
- NBA superstar Shaquille O'Neal announces retirement after 19 years - Jun 02, 2011
- LeBron James gets third NBA most valuable player citation - May 13, 2012
- Bryant overtakes Jordan to lead NBA All-Star score - Feb 27, 2012
- James, Bryant named Players of the Week - Jan 10, 2012
- Kobe Bryant Hits Back In Los Angeles Lakers Vs Pheonix Suns Game - May 18, 2010
- US picks 12-man basketball squad for Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- MVP James heads All-NBA First Team - May 15, 2009
- Los Angeles Lakers win NBA championship - Jun 15, 2009
- NBA Playoffs To Begin On April 17 - Apr 15, 2010
- L.A. Lakers defeats Orlando Magic in Game 1 of NBA Finals - Jun 05, 2009
- NBA fines coach Jackson $25,000 for criticism - May 27, 2009
- Kobe Bryant Elected As The NBA Player Of The Decade - Feb 15, 2010
- NBA Final Schedule Declared - May 30, 2010
- Olympics: Kobe Bryant watches Federer win - Aug 04, 2012