Dutch TV presenters escape prosecution for cannibalismFebruary 8th, 2012 - 6:48 pm ICT by IANS
The Hague, Feb 8 (IANS) Two Dutch TV presenters, who had pieces of their flesh surgically removed, cooked and ate them too during a programme, have been told that they will not be prosecuted for cannibalism. For, such an act isn’t illegal.
During a programme — Proefkonijnen meaning “guinea pigs” — Dennis Storm and Valerio Zeno were shown sitting under a candlelight to eat little portions of flesh, which had been lightly cooked with small amount of sunflower oil with the help of a professional chef, the Irish Times reported.
Storm, one of the TV presenters, gave away a piece of buttock while Zeno contributed his abdomen’ sliver for the show.
“There’s really nothing at all special about human meat,” Storm told the audience later. “Sure, it’s weird to look into the eyes of your friend while you’re chewing on his belly. But it was just a few centimetres and now I have a good story about the scar.”
Stating that it broke new ground in bad taste, some critics called for the presenters to be charged with cannibalism, while others said that was exactly the disproportionate response they wanted.
After the issue was raised in parliament by the Christian Democrats, Dutch Justice Minister Ivo Opstelten said the presenters would not be charged because cannibalism was not illegal in the Netherlands.
The show was production of public broadcaster BNN (Bart’s Neverending Network). The network targets teenage and young-adult audiences by tackling controversial issues.
- Dutch TV airs cannibalism segment - Dec 21, 2011
- TV watching contest to mark Dutch TV's 60 years - Oct 01, 2011
- British royals dined on human flesh: Book - May 21, 2011
- North Korea executed three cannibals - May 11, 2012
- Three held for cannibal acts in Brazil - Apr 16, 2012
- Donner Party Members Were Not Cannibals, Researchers Say - Apr 16, 2010
- Three executed for cannibalism in North Korea - May 21, 2012
- Gangsters kill rival, 'eat him for lunch' - Mar 23, 2012
- Flesh-eating piranhas found in Greece river - Aug 09, 2012
- Bene Jew recipes from Konkan - Sep 27, 2011
- 101-year-old Female Undergoes The Insertion Of The Third Tattoo On Her Delicate Body - Aug 27, 2010
- This Italian writer has an Aishwarya connection - Feb 01, 2012
- DCW puts spotlight on opulence, grandeur and business (Preview) - Aug 07, 2012
- Woman kills husband as he forgets her birthday - Aug 17, 2011
- Anyone wants to be killed, cooked, eaten? Man held - May 12, 2011
Tags: abdomen, adult audiences, bad taste, buttock, candlelight, christian democrats, controversial issues, dutch tv, guinea pigs, human meat, irish times, ivo, justice minister, new ground, professional chef, public broadcaster, sliver, tv presenters, valerio, zeno