Dutch steeplechaser fails second drugs testJuly 18th, 2008 - 5:20 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, July 18 (Xinhua) The second drugs test carried out on Dutch steeplechaser Simon Vroemen confirmed last week’s positive test for drug use, Dutch media reported. This means that the European 3,000 metre steeplechase record holder will certainly miss the Beijing Olympics. He will also receive an automatic two-year suspension.
Last week Vroemen tested positive for anabolic steroids after running the steeplechase at the Olympic qualifying time. He asked for the second test in order for the time to be validated.
Vroemen, 39, denied that he used the muscle strengthener consciously and said he will contest the outcome of the tests. The steroid found in his urine is largely used by bodybuilders and would not do anything to help distance runners, he said.
When it emerged last week that he tested positive, Vroemen said on his website that the steroids may be connected to the medicine he took for glandular fever.
“I have a 15-year career behind me, I have gone through thousands of doping tests. It is a massive shock,” said Vroemen.
- French steeplechase runner banned for 10 years - Aug 29, 2012
- Belarus' Ostapchuk stripped of gold for doping - Aug 13, 2012
- Five fresh doping cases in athletics, IOA orders probe (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Mandeep blames federation for not providing team doctor - Jul 01, 2011
- IOA demands judicial inquiry in doping scandal - Jul 01, 2011
- It would be foolish to dope during Olympics: BOA boss - Jul 22, 2012
- I am innocent, says Ashwini Akkunji - Jul 07, 2011
- Five athletes flunk dope tests - Jun 30, 2011
- Another Pakistani athlete banned after testing positive for steroids - Sep 21, 2010
- Brazilian swimmer banned for two years - Jun 28, 2012
- Athletics body transfers Mandeep, Juana dope cases to NADA - Jul 20, 2011
- Olympics: Uzbek gymnast suspended for doping (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Ashwini, Priyanka's B-samples test positive - Jul 11, 2011
- Ukraine coach blames contaminated food supplements for doping mess (Lead) - Jul 08, 2011
- Never advised steroids for athletes, I'm being set-up: Ukraine coach - Jul 05, 2011