Dutch government approves burqa banJanuary 28th, 2012 - 2:38 pm ICT by IANS
The Hague, Jan 28 (IANS) The Dutch government Friday approved a ban on face-covering clothing, such as a burqa, a niqab, a forage cap, or a full face helmet, reported Xinhua.
People going on the streets with one of these now risk being fined for up to 380 euros ($499).
“It is very important that people in an open society meet each other in an open way,” Minister of Interior Affairs Liesbeth Spies said after the cabinet meeting.
The burqa ban was already part of the government coalition agreement. In September 2011, the proposal was sent for advice to the council of state, which issued a negative opinion.
The council considered the proposal contrary to the prohibition of freedom of religion and contrary to the standards of non-discrimination. The government’s main advisory body also wondered whether a burqa ban was too heavy a measure.
However, the cabinet neglected the advice and claimed the European Convention on Human Rights offers the opportunity to limit religious freedom when it is in the interest of the public order.
“We think we have to make a legitimate exception to the freedom of religion,” Spies said.
In April last year, France introduced a burqa ban and became the first European country to ban people from concealing their faces in public in many manner.
- Barcelona to become first Spanish city to ban burka - Jun 15, 2010
- Syria bans 'niqab' from universities - Jul 20, 2010
- Total public ban on burkha in France risks being 'unconstitutional' - Mar 31, 2010
- French Parliament passes bill to ban wearing full veil in public spaces - Sep 15, 2010
- Veiled Muslim women barred from entering France - Jun 13, 2012
- France Approves Burqa Ban - Jul 14, 2010
- Banning niqab would put Quebec on collision course with human rights groups: Experts - Mar 26, 2010
- Women refusing to remove niqab in Canada will be charged - Mar 31, 2010
- British minister terms burqa ban un-British - Jul 18, 2010
- Turin official asks school board to ban burqa-wearing mothers - Nov 25, 2010
- Belgium to become first EU country to ban use of burqa - Apr 30, 2010
- Burqa Ban In France Approved By Senate - Oct 08, 2010
- Spanish town bans burqa - May 29, 2010
- Conseil Constitutionnel Upholds The Burqa Ban In France - Oct 08, 2010
- Italy set to be next European country to ban burka for 'security reasons' - Oct 08, 2010
Tags: advisory body, burqa ban, coalition agreement, contrary, discrimination, dutch government, european convention on human rights, forage cap, freedom of religion, full face helmet, government coalition, hague, interior affairs, jan 28, niqab, prohibition, proposal, religious freedom, spies, xinhua