Dutch beat Ukraine; Greece toppled in HungaryMay 25th, 2008 - 1:39 pm ICT by admin
Hamburg, May 25 (DPA) Defending Euro champions Greece lost a friendly international in Hungary 3-2, while the Dutch managed a morale-boosting 3-0 victory against Ukraine. In Rotterdam, Dirk Kuijt and Klaas Jan Huntelaar gave the Oranjes a two-goal lead at half-time, before Ryan Babel added a third in the second half Saturday.
The Dutch, who are in the so-called Group of Death at Euro, with France, Italy and Romania, looked impressive for much of the game and are among the teams that will go into the tournament in Austria and Switzerland as favourites.
In Budapest, the defending champions took a one-goal lead through Ioannis Amanatidis into the break, but the home side equalized just a minute later through Balazs Dzsudzsak. Roland Juhasz and Krisztian Vadocz added two more for the Hungarians, who failed to qualify for Euro.
Nikolaos Liberopoulos pulled one back in the last minute of the game for Greece, who will be facing Sweden, Russia and Spain in Group D.
The co-hosts Switzerland beat Slovakia 2-0 in Lugano through two second-half goals by Valon Behrami and Alexander Frei.
The Swiss used defender Patrick Mueller, who had been forced by coach Kobi Kuhn to miss Olympique Lyon’s French cup final against Paris St Germain to come to the national team.
Swiss officials said that Mueller himself had opted to play for his country after Lyon had at first refused to release him in contravention of FIFA regulations.
The final friendly involving a Euro team saw Croatia beat Moldova 1-0, with captain Niko Kovac scoring the only goal of the game in the 29th minute.
Croatia will be playing in Group B with Germany, co-host Austria and Poland.
- Comfortable win for Spain in Euro warm-up - May 27, 2012
- England qualify for Euro 2012, Portugal a step away - Oct 08, 2011
- Football friendlies: Argentina beat Germany, Brazil thrash Sweden - Aug 16, 2012
- Manchester teams score season's first victories in Champions League - Oct 19, 2011
- Ukraine suffer 2-3 loss to Austria - Jun 02, 2012
- Germany down Netherlands in football friendly, England beat Sweden - Nov 16, 2011
- Top three from World Cup held to draw - Aug 12, 2010
- UEFA fines Russia and Spain over racism - Jun 29, 2012
- Euro 2012 Warm-up: Ireland-Hungary play goalless draw - Jun 05, 2012
- Netherlands cruise to World Cup qualifier win against Hungary - Sep 12, 2012
- Euro 2012: Czechs outpace Greece to earn a 2-1 victory - Jun 13, 2012
- Russia showing dangerous cohesion: Arshavin - Jun 11, 2012
- Russia not in peak condition for Euros: Physio - Jun 06, 2012
- Euro 2012: Czechs stun hosts Poland 1-0, top Group A (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Bulgaria stun the Netherlands with win in Amsterdam friendly - May 27, 2012
Tags: alexander frei, co host, contravention, dirk kuijt, dpa, euro team, french cup, hungarians, klaas jan huntelaar, kobi kuhn, lugano, niko kovac, olympique lyon, paris st germain, patrick mueller, roland juhasz, rotterdam, ryan babel, swiss officials, valon behrami