Dusk to dawn curfew in Jammu border villagesMay 13th, 2008 - 10:26 pm ICT by admin
Jammu, May 13 (IANS) A dusk-to-dawn curfew has been imposed on all villages along the 187-km India-Pakistan international border in the Jammu region to check infiltration following gun battles with militants over the past two days in which nine people were killed. Jammu Deputy Inspector General of Police Farooq Khan told newspersons Tuesday that the cooperation of villagers has been sought in the matter. The police and villagers have mounted joint patrolling in the villages where wild bushes and jungles and ravines pose a challenge in checking intrusion from across the border.
Farooq Khan said curfew had been imposed as it would help in restricting the movement of villagers along the border and the security forces would be able to identify the non-residents, especially terrorists or intruders from across the border.
Meanwhile, the Border Security Force, facing flak after its claim that last Thursday night’s infiltration bid was successfully thwarted and the intruders had retreated to Pakistan territory, would be facing an internal investigation.
A team headed by BSF Director General A.K. Mitra is expected to visit Jammu to assess the situation.
- Pak violates cease-fire in Poonch district, one soldier killed - Oct 25, 2010
- Curfew imposed in Myanmar's Rakhine state - Jun 10, 2012
- BSF plans hotline to Pakistan Rangers - Jun 23, 2012
- Women units of BSF to be deployed in Kashmir - May 25, 2011
- BSF kills intruder in Punjab, 17 kg heroin seized - Jan 18, 2012
- Bangladeshi, trooper caught in Tripura handed back - Jul 06, 2012
- Pakistani firing seeks to push terrorists into Kashmir - Aug 23, 2012
- Can't rule out more border tunnels: Home secretary - Aug 24, 2012
- BSF shoots intruder trying to enter India - Jan 21, 2011
- Intruder killed on India-Pakistan border - Jan 26, 2012
- BSF foils infiltration bid along international border - Mar 09, 2010
- BSF-Pakistan Rangers meeting starts in Punjab - Mar 28, 2010
- Indian army chief visits J&K; - Jun 15, 2012
- BSF opens fire near Jammu border - Jun 29, 2011
- Pakistani infiltrator killed on border - Mar 28, 2010
Tags: border security force, border villages, deputy inspector general, farooq khan, flak, gun battles, india pakistan, infiltration, internal investigation, international border, intruders, jammu region, jungles, last thursday, mitra, non residents, pakistan international, pakistan territory, patrolling, ravines