Dubious honour for top seeds in Australian OpenJanuary 15th, 2009 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 15 (IANS) World No.1 Rafael Nadal, as expected, is the top seed in the Australian Open men’s singles tennis championship. But it may well prove to be a dubious honour as only few top seeds in the past have gone on to win the championship.According to The Australian, in the 40 years of Open tennis, only 12 top-ranked male players have won the championship.
Among the illustrious names to lose when seeded to win are Rod Laver, John Newcombe, Ken Rosewall, Ivan Lendl (five times), Pete Sampras, who lost three as top seed and won two, and Lleyton Hewitt who infamously went out in the first round when he was world No.1 in 2002.
Even Swiss champion Roger Federer, who is the second seed this year, has twice failed when his name appeared on the top line of the draw. The women have done better with 17 top-seed winners in the past 40 years.
It remains to be seen whether being No.1 will assist Serbia’s Jelena Jankovic, who inherited the honour this year when Maria Sharapova pulled out.
- Australian Open: Djokovic marches on; Roddick retires (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- 'Confident' Stosur chases dream to join Oz legends for French Open honour - Jun 05, 2010
- Venus Williams pulls out of China Open due to knee injury - Oct 02, 2010
- Leading Grand Slam winners - Jul 09, 2012
- Djokovic, Sharapova coast into Australian Open fourth round (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- Stosur breaks Australia's heart (Roundup) - Jan 17, 2012
- Samantha Stosur awarded Newcombe medal - Dec 06, 2011
- Rosewell asks Hewitt, Tomic to smoke peace pipe - Jan 13, 2010
- Australian Open: Nishikori eliminates Tsonga, Makarova stuns Serena - Jan 23, 2012
- Sharapova proud of her Russian origin - May 30, 2012
- Australian Open: Top seeds advance to second round (Roundup) - Jan 16, 2012
- Highlights of day two at Australian Open - Jan 17, 2012
- US Open: Top seeds flare up in second round - Sep 02, 2011
- Brisbane women's singles trophy dedicated to Goolagong Cawley - Dec 23, 2011
- Oudin beats Jankovic in AEGON Classic final - Jun 18, 2012
Tags: australian open, dubious honour, illustrious names, ivan lendl, jelena jankovic, john newcombe, ken rosewall, lleyton hewitt, maria sharapova, melbourne, open men, open tennis, pete sampras, rafael nadal, rod laver, roger federer, seeds, swiss champion, tennis championship