Dubai to build new zooFebruary 13th, 2012 - 11:40 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Feb 13 (IANS/WAM) The emirate of Dubai in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) plans to build a new world-class zoo, a top official said.
Hussain Nasser Lootah, director general of Dubai Municipality, said a consultant and an action team have been appointed to come up with the final concept of the project, including selection of site, required area and distribution of animals in line with international standards.
He said the two concepts were submitted. One was for “safari”, adopted in developed countries like Singapore and Thailand, while the second was of cages, which is more common.
“We are going to adopt the cages system considering the area constraints in the emirate,” he said.
A team of specialists, veterinarians, animal curators and qualified cadres for animal welfare will be appointed at the zoo.
The present zoo in Dubai was established in 1967 by late Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum, then UAE vice president and prime minister.
- UN chief visits Dubai - Nov 13, 2011
- UAE to launch campaign to raise donations for Yemen - Jun 21, 2012
- UAE asks workers to complain if salary not paid - May 13, 2011
- Italians to conduct heart surgeries for Dubai kids - Jan 13, 2012
- UAE officials hold talks with envoys - Nov 01, 2011
- UAE is gateway to Middle East, Africa: China - Jul 14, 2011
- UAE zoo offers special safari for kids - Mar 01, 2012
- UAE, Belarus discuss bilateral cooperation - Feb 22, 2012
- UAE holds talks with Canada, Japan - May 31, 2011
- Dubai to donate used laptops for charity - Nov 02, 2011
- YouTube channel launched for Dubai ruler - Feb 15, 2012
- UAE, Palestine discuss projects - Jul 14, 2011
- UAE envoy meets Irish finance minister - Feb 09, 2012
- Dubai ruler orders release of 334 prisoners - Nov 03, 2011
- UAE plans Dubai International Airport expansion - Jul 07, 2011
Tags: al maktoum, animal welfare, cadres, constraints, curators, developed countries, dg, director general, emirate, hussain, lootah, municipality, nasser, prime minister, safari, sheikh rashid, uae, united arab emirates, veterinarians, world class zoo