Dubai customs foil attempt to smuggle drugsJanuary 11th, 2011 - 10:25 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Jan 11 (IANS/WAM) Dubai customs officials have foiled an attempt to smuggle a huge consignment of drugs through the emirate to Europe and the Arab region, authorities said Tuesday.”Customs inspectors at the Cargo Village suspected that some consignments coming from two Arab countries and an African country contained 123,000 tablets of a dangerous narcotic that causes serious side effects to whoever takes them,” Omar Ahmed Al Mehairy, senior manager of the air cargo operation department at Dubai Customs, said.
The shipment was referred to the health inspector who reported that the tablets are controlled and internationally prohibited for use without authorised medical supervision.
The customs department is coordinating with the Regional Intelligence and Liaison Office over the passage of the shipment to its final destination in order to seize the involved parties in the smuggling attempt, he said.
The consignments were registered in names of individuals and not companies licensed to import such type of medicines.
The tablets if taken in large dosage without medical supervision could lead to nervousness, self-harming, hyperactivity, agitation, aggression, hallucination, fainting, insomnia, jaundice and can ultimately lead to death, according to the health inspector’s report.
- Dubai Customs foils bid to smuggle heroin - Jul 13, 2010
- 500,000 Captagon tablets seized in Dubai - Aug 07, 2012
- 26 kg narcotics seized in Dubai - Jan 30, 2012
- Bid to smuggle narcotics tablets foiled in Dubai - Dec 15, 2011
- Contraband in X-mass cards seized in Dubai - Dec 26, 2010
- 1.5 mn narcotic tablets seized in Dubai - May 01, 2011
- Drug smuggling bid foiled in Dubai - Jan 14, 2012
- Nine kg of opium seized in Dubai - Feb 03, 2011
- 3.5 kg heroin seized in UAE - Aug 23, 2010
- Dubai Customs foils bid to smuggle heroin - Aug 09, 2012
- Dubai foils bid to smuggle pirated games CDs - Oct 19, 2010
- Two tonnes of fake cosmetics seized in UAE in 2011 - Feb 13, 2012
- UAE seizes cannabis bound for Europe - Feb 15, 2010
- UAE asks workers to complain if salary not paid - May 13, 2011
- Hashish smuggling bid foiled in UAE - Jan 27, 2011
Tags: aggression, agitation, air cargo, arab countries, arab region, consignment, consignments, customs department, customs inspectors, customs officials, emirate, final destination, health inspector, hyperactivity, insomnia, jaundice, liaison office, medical supervision, nervousness, self harming