Drunk driver bites policeman to avoid alcohol testMay 5th, 2011 - 4:17 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, May 5 (IANS) A driver bit the hand of a police officer to avoid an alcohol test in China’s Shanxi Province, police said.
The incident took place Monday in Taiyuan, the capital city of north China’s Shanxi Province, Xinhua reported.
The man, Hao, is being charged with dangerous driving after a breath alcohol test showed that his alcohol level was higher than the permissible limit.
Police said Wednesday that an officer spotted a vehicle disobeying traffic rules.
The licence of the driver, Hao, showed that his license had expired. Then, the man got out of the car and snatched it out of the policeman’s hand.
When the police officer asked Hao to take a breath alcohol test, the man bit the policeman’s left hand.
Hao was the first person to get caught drunk driving in Taiyuan since a newly-amended law took effect Sunday which imposes harsher punishments on drunk drivers.
The law now states that anyone caught drunk driving will have their driver’s licence revoked upon conviction, have to wait five years to apply for a new licence and face detention for one to six months.
The nationwide crackdown on drunk driving has led to dozens of drivers being caught.
- What car? - asks drunk Australian driver - Dec 27, 2010
- China launches remote-sensing satellite - Nov 09, 2011
- Holi revellers warned against breaking traffic rules - Mar 19, 2011
- New law sobers up drunk drivers in China - May 23, 2012
- Now a service to drop boozers home - May 25, 2011
- China bans palm-reading assessment in schools - Feb 01, 2012
- Woman commits suicide at China Foxconn plant - Nov 25, 2011
- 100 drunk drivers nabbed in Melbourne - Nov 27, 2010
- Heavy drinkers may lose driving licence for life in China - Apr 19, 2011
- Chinese man sentenced to death in demolition case - Feb 01, 2011
- Russian accused of biting two policemen - Sep 08, 2012
- China: 11 workers confirmed dead in Changzhi mine accident - Apr 17, 2012
- Spring is worst time of year for drink- driving: Survey - Apr 15, 2011
- We'll soon free city of dangerous drivers: Delhi Police - Mar 22, 2012
- Lockport, New York man arrested for drunk driving - Feb 07, 2010
Tags: alcohol level, beijing, breath alcohol test, conviction, crackdown, dangerous driving, drunk driver, drunk drivers, drunk driving, face detention, first person, hao, north china, police officer, policeman, punishments, shanxi province, taiyuan, traffic rules, xinhua