Drugs, weapons recovered near India-Pakistan border (Lead)January 29th, 2009 - 7:31 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar, Jan 29 (IANS) In a major operation by the Border Security Force (BSF) along the India-Pakistan border in Punjab sector, a big haul of heroin, fake Indian currency notes and weapons was made Thursday.BSF’s Punjab frontier Inspector General (IG) of police Himmat Singh said that over 13 kg of heroin, fake currency with a notional value of Rs.3.3 million (Rs.33 lakh) and weapons and ammunition were recovered from the Pul Kanjari area in the Amritsar sector of the border.
BSF troopers opened fire on smugglers on the Pakistani side, injuring one of them. However, the Pakistani smugglers and their Indian counterparts managed to escape in dense fog along the border belt.
The incident took place near the Attari-Wagah joint land border check post.
The drugs consignment is said to be worth Rs.130 million (Rs.13 crore) in the international market.
The weapons recovered included seven pistols and several rounds of ammunition.
The Pakistani smugglers were trying to deliver the consignment through the electrified barbed wire fence on the India side by sliding it through a PVC pipe, the IG said.
“The recoveries were made following the Operation Alert launched along the border belt. We are focusing on border areas to curb smuggling and other activities,” the IG said.
Border Range deputy inspector general (DIG) of BSF Mohammad Aqeel said a protest has been registered with their Pakistani counterparts.
Customs officials had Tuesday arrested two Indian nationals from the Attari railway station, 30 km from here, with 14 kg of heroin.
They had arrived on board the Samjhauta Express peace train from Lahore in Pakistan and were caught during checking at Attari.
- BSF recovers 23 kg heroin from Punjab border - Feb 04, 2012
- Sharp hike in heroin smuggling across Punjab border - Aug 21, 2012
- BSF kills Pakistani, finds heroin - Feb 23, 2012
- Three smugglers held with drugs, fake currency in Amritsar - Jul 04, 2012
- BSF seizes 12 kg of heroin on Punjab border - Apr 24, 2012
- BSF recovers heroin, fake currency from Pakistan border - Dec 01, 2011
- BSF kills three smugglers on Indo-Pak border in Punjab - Mar 29, 2012
- BSF seizes 31 kg heroin at Punjab border (Lead) - Jul 03, 2010
- BSF kills intruder in Punjab, 17 kg heroin seized - Jan 18, 2012
- Two Pakistani smugglers killed on Punjab border - Mar 26, 2010
- 27 kg heroin seized near India-Pakistan border - Oct 06, 2011
- Pakistani smuggler killed along Punjab border - Mar 18, 2010
- BSF-Pakistan Rangers meeting starts in Punjab - Mar 28, 2010
- BSF recovers five kg heroin near India-Pakistan border - Feb 03, 2009
- BSF foils heroin smuggling bid, one killed in Punjab - Mar 04, 2009
Tags: aqeel, attari, barbed wire fence, border security force, currency notes, customs officials, dense fog, deputy inspector general, fake currency, india pakistan, indian counterparts, indian currency, indian nationals, land border, notional value, pakistan border, peace train, pvc pipe, railway station, samjhauta express