Drug traffickers held carrying heroin in stomachDecember 27th, 2011 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 27 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Two drug couriers who had concealed heroin capsules in their stomachs have been detained at the airport of Russia’s Siberian city of Novosibirsk, the customs press service said Tuesday.
The two men, a Kyrgyz and a Tajik, arrived in Novosibirsk from Kyrgyzstan capital Bishkek. The exact date of their detention was not reported.
“The drug couriers were trying to transport 30 cylindrical containers (with heroin) covered with latex in their stomachs,” a statement said, adding that the seized heroin 300 grams.
The detainees admitted they had been paid $1,000 each to transport the drugs. They face prison terms of up to seven years and a fine of up to one million rubles ($32,000) if found guilty of drug trafficking.
Up to 80 tonnes of heroin — some 20 percent of the world’s consumption — flows into Russia from Afghanistan every year via former Soviet Central Asian republics, according to UN estimates.
- Russia, neighbours to hold air defence drills - Sep 14, 2012
- Putin peak summitted for first time - Sep 14, 2012
- Man jailed for trafficking heroin in Russia - Aug 28, 2012
- Five percent rise in Russia's HIV cases - Mar 12, 2012
- Russia to raise coal output to 430 mn tonnes - Jan 24, 2012
- New Kyrgyz president calls for closure of US airbase - Nov 01, 2011
- Couple held for selling newborn in Moscow - May 09, 2012
- Moscow to ban smoking in restaurants by 2014 - May 05, 2012
- Space factory worker held for making weapons - May 31, 2012
- $2 mn drug haul seized in Moscow region - Aug 24, 2012
- Kyrgyz president sacks government - Aug 24, 2012
- 200 kg heroin seized in Kazakhstan - Sep 06, 2012
- Pentagon chief in Kyrgyzstan for talks - Mar 13, 2012
- Kyrgyzstan scraps visas for 44 nations - Jun 14, 2012
- Russia owes rent on military bases: Kyrgyz president - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: central asian republics, cylindrical containers, detainees, drug couriers, drug traffickers, drug trafficking, heroin, kyrgyz, novosibirsk, one million, prison terms, ria novosti, rubles, seven years, siberian city, stomachs, tajik, tonnes, two men, vm