Drug gang gunfight leaves 10 dead, 18 injured in central-western MexicoDecember 12th, 2010 - 5:19 am ICT by BNO News
MEXICO CITY (BNO NEWS) — At least 10 people were killed and 18 were injured on Friday night in a gunfight between drug cartels in the central-western Mexican state of Jalisco, officials said on Saturday.
The incident occurred around 10:30 p.m. local time in the town of Tecalitlan, local police said, as a crowd of around 5,000 people were attending the religious festivities of the Lady of Guadalupe. The gunfight lasted around 30 minutes.
Eight of the people killed were found scattered through the area, while two others died in hospitals.
After the gunfight ended, city, state and federal police arrived to the town to protect the area. Later, state police secured 10 abandoned vehicles allegedly used by drug cartel members one kilometer (half mile) from the main square of the village.
The state of Jalisco borders the state of Michoacan, where on Thursday and Friday eleven people were killed during clashes between the “La Familia Michoacana” drug cartel and security forces, including the cartel’s leader and founder Nazario “El Chayo” Moreno Gonzalez.
Moreno Gonzalez is the second top drug lord killed in the last months, after the killing on November 5 of Ezequiel Cardenas Guillen, one of the leaders of the powerful Gulf Cartel, after a gunfight with the Mexican military in the northern border city of Matamoros.
- Mexican drug lord Nazario "El Chayo" Moreno Gonzalez reportedly killed by troops - Dec 10, 2010
- 23 bodies dumped in Mexican state - Jun 21, 2011
- Mexican mayor vows to continue her work despite attacks - Jan 26, 2011
- Families fled from Mexico border city due to drug trafficking violence - Nov 12, 2010
- Obama telephones Mexican president Calderon after Tony Tormenta's death - Nov 07, 2010
- Mexican drug boss held - Jun 22, 2011
- Cartels have been weakened, says Mexican government - Dec 27, 2010
- Beheaded bodies found in Mexico - Dec 25, 2011
- Former head of the Gulf Cartel sentenced to 25 years - Feb 26, 2010
- Four human heads found in Mexico - Apr 01, 2010
- 18 bodies found at mass grave in Mexico - Nov 07, 2010
- Two dead after clashes between soldiers and gunmen in central Mexico - Feb 25, 2011
- Mexican police arrest drug kingpin - Apr 13, 2010
- Over 2,700 shots fired at Mexican official - Apr 28, 2010
- Five dismembered bodies found in Mexico - Sep 22, 2010
Tags: bno, border city, chayo, drug cartel, drug cartels, drug gang, drug lord, ezequiel cárdenas, federal police, gonzalez moreno, gulf cartel, la familia michoacana, lady of guadalupe, main square, matamoros, mexican military, mexico mexico, northern border, religious festivities, western mexico