Drug cartel leader held in MexicoMay 24th, 2009 - 9:36 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, May 24 (EFE) A senior leader of a dreaded drug cartel of Mexico has been arrested in the northeastern city of Ciudad Victoria, authorities have said.
Nelson Garcia Lozano, the Gulf drug gang’s head of operations in Ciudad Victoria, the capital of Tamaulipas province, was held following a gun exchange between his men and troops Saturday, the national defence secretariat said.
Three police officers protecting the drug gang leader were also arrested.
Two armoured vehicles and huge cache of arms and amunitions have also been recovered from them, the secretariat said in a statement.
Separately, security officials also arrested four kidnappers and freed a 37-year-old man who had been held hostage since May 16 at Lazaro Cardenas port, in Michoacan.
So far this month, 28 people suspected of involvement in kidnapping have been arrested and two of their victims released in Mexico.
Kidnapping is a serious problem in Mexico, with people from all classes of society targeted either to quickly drain their savings account - a crime known as “express” kidnappings - or to extract ransom payments from relatives.
According to experts, the nation’s well organised, heavily armed drug cartels have even turned more regularly to kidnapping as a source of revenue due to the disruption of their operations by Mexican security forces.
President Felipe Calderon has deployed tens of thousands of army soldiers and federal police to a dozen states to crack down on the cartels, whose internal power struggles and battles over drug routes have left more than 12,000 dead nationwide since 2006.
- Fourteen dismembered bodies found in truck in Mexico - Jun 08, 2012
- Mexican cartels moving drugs in armoured vehicles - Jan 18, 2012
- Demand for private security services in Mexico up 40 percent - Dec 18, 2011
- Mexican drug boss held - Jun 22, 2011
- Obama telephones Mexican president Calderon after Tony Tormenta's death - Nov 07, 2010
- Two tonnes of marijuana found in Mexican cemetery - Jul 30, 2012
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- 23 bodies dumped in Mexican state - Jun 21, 2011
- Nine gunned down at Mexican nightclub - Feb 05, 2012
- Over 200 kidnap victims killed in Mexico in 2010 - Feb 04, 2011
- Gunmen kill 13 more in Mexico border city - Oct 25, 2010
- Families fled from Mexico border city due to drug trafficking violence - Nov 12, 2010
- At least 16 bodies found in northern Mexico - Sep 17, 2012
- 23 police officers arrested over alleged ties with drug cartel in central Mexico - May 03, 2011
- 14 dismembered bodies found in Mexico - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: armoured vehicles, army soldiers, ciudad victoria, dozen states, drug cartel, drug cartels, drug gang, federal police, gang leader, garcia lozano, gun exchange, head of operations, internal power struggles, lazaro cardenas port, mexican security, mexico kidnapping, mexico mexico, northeastern city, president felipe calderon, ransom payments