Drought-hit China to spend $9 bn on reservoirsFebruary 23rd, 2011 - 5:37 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Feb 23 (IANS) China will spend nearly 63 billion yuan ($9.3 billion) on more than 45,000 small reservoirs across the country as part of its efforts to tackle drought and flooding.By 2012, a total of 24.4 billion yuan will be spent on repairing 5,400 small reservoirs having capacity between 1 million cubic metres and 10 million cubic metres, the government said Tuesday after a cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Wen Jiabao.
Another 15,900 reservoirs with a capacity of more than 200,000 cubic metres will be consolidated by 2013 with an investment of around 38 billion yuan, China Daily reported Wednesday.
The remaining 25,000 reservoirs will be improved with funding from local governments before the end of 2015, the government said in a statement.
The spending plan is part of the country’s efforts to reinforce water conservation initiatives and combat natural disasters, such as floods and droughts.
China has been suffering from a severe drought since October with more than 6 million hectares of farmland affected in the country’s eight wheat producing provinces.
More than 60 percent of the country’s small and medium-sized rivers do not meet national flood control standards and over 32,000 small reservoirs are flawed, according to the ministry of water resources.
- Afghanistan seeks Indian help in water infrastructure - Apr 24, 2012
- 700 die as China reels under worst floods in decade (Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- China to hike investment in water conservation projects - Oct 12, 2011
- Huge Chinese dam experiences big flood - Jul 24, 2012
- Drought stalks China's food bowl - May 17, 2011
- China prepares for massive flood - Jul 19, 2010
- Drought affects 35 million in China - May 30, 2011
- China to build four super dams on Jinsha river - Jun 22, 2011
- Two million Chinese hit by drought - Aug 12, 2011
- China may witness heavy floods this year - Jun 03, 2012
- 2.5 mn Chinese suffering from drought - Jan 31, 2011
- `Cuba's water treatment system needs to be fixed' - Jul 21, 2012
- 13 killed in China landslide - Jul 24, 2010
- China allocates $19 mn to fight drought - Feb 22, 2012
- Still 'chasing the monsoon' to lift India's fortune - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: 10 million, beijing, bn, cabinet meeting, china daily, cubic metres, drought, farmland, flood control, floods and droughts, hectares, local governments, national flood, natural disasters, reservoirs, sized rivers, water conservation initiatives, water resources, wen jiabao, yuan china