Drones kill 10 Al Qaeda militants in YemenJune 13th, 2012 - 7:25 pm ICT by IANS
Sana’a, June 13 (IANS) At least 10 members of Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) were killed in Yemen after US drones hit their bastions in southeastern Shabwa province early Wednesday, a security official said.
The US drones carried out two air strikes on bastions and checkpoints of Al Qaeda militants in Azzan town, killing at least 10 terrorists, Xinhua quoted the official as saying requesting anonymity.
“High-ranking commanders of the Al Qaeda group are believed to have been killed in the air strikes,” the official said. “An arms depot belonging to the militants was also pounded, all equipments inside were destroyed.”
Yemeni government troops have waged an intensive military campaign since last month, with support of the US and Saudi Arabia, to uproot the Al Qaeda militants from the country’s southern regions.
- Al Qaeda providing free electricity in Yemen - May 03, 2012
- Al Qaeda leaders killed in Yemen air strike - May 07, 2012
- Al Qaeda kills six cops in Yemen - May 14, 2011
- Al Qaeda suicide bomber kills 20 in Yemen - Aug 05, 2012
- Five Al Qaeda terrorists escape from Yemen jail - Jun 27, 2012
- Yemeni president sacks intelligence chiefs - Sep 12, 2012
- 21 militants killed in US drone strikes in Yemen - May 13, 2012
- Al-Qaeda leader Al-Awlaki killed: Yemen - Sep 30, 2011
- 21 Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula militants killed in Yemen - Jun 11, 2011
- Al Qaeda militants kill six Yemeni soldiers - Jul 26, 2010
- Al Qaeda abducts Yemeni intelligence officer - Mar 22, 2012
- Bulgarian envoy to Yemen escapes abduction attempt - May 14, 2012
- 28 Al Qaeda men arrested in Yemen - Sep 23, 2010
- Yemen troops capture Al Qaeda stronghold - Jun 16, 2012
- Yemeni warplanes bomb Al-Qaeda bases, 18 killed - Mar 19, 2012
Tags: air strikes, al qaeda, al qaeda in the arabian peninsula, al qaeda militants, anonymity, aqap, bastions, checkpoints, government troops, military campaign, saudi arabia, security official, shabwa, southern regions, terrorists, us drones, xinhua