Drone crashes near Somalia refugee campFebruary 4th, 2012 - 9:57 am ICT by IANS
Mogadishu, Feb 4 (IANS) An unidentified drone crashed near a camp for displaced people in the outskirts of Somali capital Mogadishu, Xinhua reported.
“A drone or unmanned aerial craft crashed near Badbaado camp but we don’t know whose it is,” Paddy Akunda, spokesman for the African Union peacekeeping forces, told Xinhua.
The camp houses families displaced due to the famine that devastated southern Somalia.
The spokesman did not give details of any casualty or damage the drone may have caused.
The US and other foreign military have used such aircraft to target militants in the war-torn Horn of Africa country.
In January, a drone killed a top commander with Somali Islamist group Al-Shabaab.
- 9,000 displaced in Somalia violence - May 27, 2012
- Al-Shabaab militants withdraw from Somali capital - Aug 07, 2011
- Pitt, Jolie donate $340,000 to Somalia - Oct 10, 2011
- Four peacekeepers killed in Somalia - Aug 30, 2010
- 14 hurt in Nairobi grenade attack - Oct 24, 2011
- 10 politicians among 42 dead in Somalia clashes (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Politicians among 60 dead in Somalia clashes (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Lawmaker shot dead in Somalia - Nov 10, 2011
- 23 killed, dozens injured in Somalia fighting - Jun 03, 2010
- Somali President condemns Mogadishu attack - Oct 05, 2011
- 14 killed in Somalia suicide bombing - Sep 21, 2012
- 65 dead in Somali car bombing - Oct 04, 2011
- Roadside bomb kills eight in Somalia - Sep 01, 2010
- At least six dead in car bombing at Somalia airport - Sep 09, 2010
- Kampala attacks just a beginning, warns Al Shabaab leader - Jul 15, 2010
Tags: capital mogadishu, casualty, crashes, drone, famine, horn of africa, horn of africa country, islamist group, outskirts, peacekeeping forces, refugee camp, somali capital, southern somalia, spokesman, xinhua