Drip-free tomatoes to go on sale in UK!April 28th, 2009 - 12:21 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 28 (ANI): Soggy sandwiches will soon be history, for the world’s first non-leaking tomatoes are about to go on sale in the UK.
Leading retail-chain TESCO will be selling drip-free tomatoes by the end of the week.
The packs of four will be on shelves for 99p, reports The Sun.
Usual tomatoes leak eight per cent of water after being sliced.
Tesco buyer Emma Pettitt said: “It’s the best thing since sliced bread.”
The non-leaking tomatoes were grown in Holland and are part of a long-term tomato seed breeding programme that began in 1986.
After trials using more than 100 varieties the breakthrough came last year when through natural breeding methods the growers developed one that held its shape when sliced, baked or diced. (ANI)
- Rachael Ray: Hugh Jackman Visits, Bobby Flay Cooks! - Oct 15, 2011
- Italy declares war on Tesco's fake lasagne sandwich, Chianti - Sep 20, 2010
- Mark Owen shows off cooking skills - Oct 28, 2011
- Rachael Ray: Rachel Bilson Gives Fashion Advice - Oct 12, 2011
- Rachael Ray: Shaun White, CoJo, and Pilgrim Sandwiches - Oct 10, 2011
- New 'Sugardrop' tomato is 'as sweet as a peach' - Nov 24, 2009
- Roll Mexican 'roti' with Peruvian fish in Indian kitchen (Eating out with IANS) - Jun 22, 2010
- Feast on yam leaf, jungle asparagus when in Himachal (Feature with images) - Jun 08, 2011
- Rachael Ray: Nick Lachey of 'The Sing Off' Stars - Oct 04, 2011
- Fountain of youth for tomatoes discovered - Jun 29, 2010
- How science could make your treats even tastier - Dec 27, 2010
- Oxford shire inhabitant Stepehen Forse finds dead mouse in a loaf of bread - Sep 29, 2010
- Tomatoes can help fight the flab - Nov 04, 2009
- Popeye's green energy booster finds place in Brits' food plates - Mar 11, 2010
- KFC's Gamble On The 'Double Down' Is Working Rather Effectively - May 21, 2010