Drilling of rescue shaft for Chilean miners delayedAugust 29th, 2010 - 12:58 pm ICT by IANS
Santiago, Aug 29 (DPA) The start of drilling for a rescue shaft to reach 33 trapped Chilean miners was delayed until Monday because technical preparations had yet to be finished, the head of the rescue work said.
They included reinforcing and settling the drill, Andre Sougarret said Saturday, the day the drilling was to have begun.
An additional motor for the drill was to be delivered from Germany Sunday at the copper and gold mine near San Jose de Copiapo in the Atacama Desert. The 15-tonne motor was to speed up the drilling of the 66-centimetre-wide, 700-metre-deep shaft, which was expected to take three to four months.
The miners have been trapped since Aug 5 when a tunnel collapsed at the mine, located about 700 km north of Santiago.
Rescue workers only determined they were still alive a week ago. Since then, the miners have received food, water, medicine and news from their relatives through a narrow tube as officials redoubled their efforts to get them out.
They were also considering enlarging the tiny tunnel that is being used to supply the miners because it could shorten the rescue time to two months.
The miners have put up a brave front in the videos and other messages they have sent to the surface. Five were suffering from depression, but Health Minister Jaime Manalich said Saturday that they had overcome it.
- Chile mine rescue enters final phase (Lead) - Oct 12, 2010
- Trapped Chile miner writes poem on his experience - Sep 04, 2010
- Countdown to Chilean miners' rescue begins - Oct 12, 2010
- Trapped Chilean miners celebrate bicentennial - Sep 19, 2010
- Miners' rescue will take months, says Chile - Aug 24, 2010
- Chilean miners' rescue shaft hits problem - Sep 02, 2010
- Trapped Chilean miners may be too fat to fit through escape hole by Xmas - Aug 26, 2010
- Chile set to launch final operation to free trapped miners - Oct 06, 2010
- NASA experts arrive in Chile to help in miners' rescue - Sep 01, 2010
- Drill mishap delays Chilean mine rescue - Sep 23, 2010
- Trapped miners get dirty jokes to lift their spirit! - Sep 04, 2010
- Chilean President Sebastian Pinera says that 33 miners are still alive in the shelter - Aug 23, 2010
- Drilling of rescue shaft begins at Chile mine - Aug 31, 2010
- Chile miners to be evacuated soon - Oct 09, 2010
- Chile officials prepare Plan B to rescue trapped miners - Aug 30, 2010
Tags: atacama desert, brave front, centimetre, copiapo, copper, four months, germany, gold mine, health minister, medicine, miners, narrow tube, relatives, rescue time, santiago, shaft, suffering from depression, technical preparations, tonne