Drillers may reach 33-trapped Chillean miners within hoursOctober 9th, 2010 - 4:05 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 9 (ANI): The long wait of the 33 trapped Chillean miners may be about to end within hours, with the drillers claiming that they have neared the lower reaches of the gold and copper mine.
According to Sky News, Chilean mining minister Laurence Golborne has said that the engineers now have got just the last 128 feet (39 metres) of rock to carve through and added that they were working carefully to keep the T130 drill from jamming or punching through with too much force.
He further said that the job could be completed by the afternoon.
The Plan B drill was poised to win a three-way race to reach the miners with a hole wide enough to accommodate their escape capsule. Two other drills, Plan A and Plan C, had to slow down after repeatedly veering off course, the paper said.
If the shaft’s rock walls are found to be strong, the rescuers could start bringing the miners to the surface by Monday, otherwise the rescuers would have to line the shaft partially with steel pipe, delaying the rescue for three to eight more days.
Golborne also said that once the drilling is complete, a video camera will be lowered through the shaft, and the decision on whether or not to line the shaft will be made.
The men have been trapped 700 metres underground since the 5th of August when their mine collapsed. (ANI)
- Chile mine rescue enters final phase (Lead) - Oct 12, 2010
- Rescue of trapped Chilean miners to begin at midnight Tuesday - Oct 11, 2010
- Chile builds 'cells' to help trapped 33 miners cope - Oct 04, 2010
- Rescue of trapped Chilean miners to begin on Tuesday evening - Oct 12, 2010
- Chillean miners likely to be evacuated on Wednesday, says Mining Minister - Oct 10, 2010
- Trapped Chillean miners may be rescued by Saturday - Oct 08, 2010
- Chilean miners could be rescued by 'end of October' - Oct 02, 2010
- Countdown to Chilean miners' rescue begins - Oct 12, 2010
- Last trapped Chilean miner pulled out, rescue completed - Oct 14, 2010
- Trapped Chilean miners celebrate bicentennial - Sep 19, 2010
- Drilling of rescue shaft begins at Chile mine - Aug 31, 2010
- Rescue drill finally reaches the trapped Chilean miners - Oct 10, 2010
- Trapped Chilean miners could be rescued by this weekend - Oct 07, 2010
- Chile miners to be evacuated soon - Oct 09, 2010
- Chile set to launch final operation to free trapped miners - Oct 06, 2010