‘Dr Death’ Jayant Patel found guilty on all counts by jury in manslaughter caseJune 29th, 2010 - 6:46 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jun 29 (ANI): After over 50 hours of deliberation by the jury, Indian origin surgeon Dr. Jayant Patel has been found guilty of manslaughter and causing grievous bodily harm.
Six men and six women held the fate of Patel in their hands.
Patel, 60, had pleaded not guilty in the Supreme Court in Brisbane to the manslaughter of Mervyn Morris, Gerardus Kemps and James Phillips, News.com.au reports.
He also pleaded not guilty to the grievous bodily harm of Ian Vowles.
The crown finished its case two weeks ago, with prosecutor Ross Martin urging the jury to return guilty verdicts on all charges.
Martin characterized Patel as a “bad surgeon motivated by ego and suffering from lack of insight”.
He told the jury the trial was about judgments, and that Patel’s negligence extended to his poor decisions about when to operate, and his choices about appropriate post-operative care. (ANI)
- Dr. 'Death' Patel manslaughter verdict may not survive appeal, warns judge - Jun 30, 2010
- Oz prosecutor says `Dr. Death' was 'a bad surgeon' - Jun 15, 2010
- 'Dr. Death' may have been trying to 'redeem' himself via surgeries: Oz prosecutor - Jun 17, 2010
- 'Dr Death' Jayant Patel's lawyers lodge appeal in manslaughter case - Jul 15, 2010
- Jury deliberates for fifth day on Patel manslaughter trial - Jun 27, 2010
- 'Dr. Death' Jayant Patel moved to new jail in Brisbane - Jul 05, 2010
- "Dr. Death" Jayant Patel faced disciplinary action in US in 2000: Brisbane SC told - Mar 23, 2010
- 'Dr. Death'Jayant Patel jailed for seven years - Jul 01, 2010
- Oz prosecutor says `Dr. Death's' surgeries were 'out of the loop' - Jun 16, 2010
- 'Dr. Death' Jayant Patel can walk free in three-and-a-half years - Jul 01, 2010
- Indian-origin doctor guilty of manslaughter in Australia - Jun 29, 2010
- Jury retires to deliberate on Patel manslaughter trial - Jun 23, 2010
- Brisbane SC to hear Justice John before deciding on Dr. Death's fate - Jun 22, 2010
- 'Dr. Death' Patel was competent for oesophagectomy operations: Defence counsel - Jun 21, 2010
- Indian-origin doctor appeals conviction in Australia - Jul 15, 2010
Tags: deliberation, dr death, dr jayant patel, gerardus, grievous bodily harm, guilty verdicts, indian origin, james phillips, judgments, kemps, manslaughter case, mervyn, negligence, news com au, poor decisions, post operative care, prosecutor, ross martin, six men, vowles