Don’t hold Obama-Dalai Lama meeting: ChinaJuly 16th, 2011 - 3:10 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 16 (IANS) China Saturday urged the US to immediately withdraw a decision to arrange US President Barack Obama’s meeting with the exiled Tibetan leader Dalai Lama.
“The issue regarding Tibet concerns China’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, and we firmly oppose any foreign official to meet with the Dalai Lama in any form,” said Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hong Lei.
Hong’s comments came in response to a question concerning a release on the White House website saying the US President Barack Obama was scheduled to meet the Dalai Lama July 16, China’s official Xinhua news agency reported.
Hong said that the Chinese foreign ministry and the Chinese embassy in the US have lodged solemn representation with the US over the issue in Beijing and Washington, respectively.
“We request the US side to honour its serious commitment that recognises Tibet as part of China and opposes ‘Tibet independence’, to immediately withdraw the decision of arranging Obama-Dalai Lama meeting, and to avoid interfering in China’s internal affairs and damaging China-US relations,” the spokesperson said.
The Dalai Lama fled Tibet after a failed uprising against Communist rule in 1959. His Tibetan government-in-exile is based in Dharamsala, India.
- China summons US ambassador over Obama-Dalai Lama meeting (Lead) - Feb 19, 2010
- Don't hold Dalai Lama-Obama meeting, China tells US - Feb 12, 2010
- US confirms Dalai-Obama meet, China says scrap it (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- China to fight Dalai Lama's 'separatism' - Jul 19, 2011
- Tibetans welcome Obama, Dalai Lama meeting - Jul 16, 2011
- China warns India against giving 'platform' to Dalai Lama - Nov 28, 2011
- Tibetan PM for resumption of talks with China - Aug 08, 2012
- Obama to meet Dalai Lama on Feb 18 despite China's opposition - Feb 12, 2010
- China urges US to stop meddling on Tibet - Mar 29, 2012
- China, not Dalai Lama, cause for self-immolation: Sangay (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- China urges US to take concrete actions for healthy bilateral ties - Feb 19, 2010
- Tibetans hail Dalai Lama-Obama meet - Jul 17, 2011
- Tibetans hail Obama-Dalai Lama meet - Feb 19, 2010
- China furious as Obama meets Dalai Lama (Second Lead) - Feb 19, 2010
- Tibetan PM completes one year in office - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: barack obama, china beijing, chinese embassy, communist rule, dalai lama, dharamsala india, foreign ministry spokesperson, honour, internal affairs, meeting china, recognises, sovereignty, territorial integrity, tibet, tibetan government in exile, tibetan leader, uprising, white house, xinhua news agency