Don’t execute Mujib killers, Amnesty tells DhakaNovember 22nd, 2009 - 1:54 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Nov 22 (IANS) International human rights watchdog Amnesty International has urged Bangladesh not to execute five former army officers who have been sentenced to death for the killing of country’s founding president Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
It said the killing of Sheikh Mujib and his family members Aug 15, 1975 was a grave abuse of human rights and the killers should be brought to justice.
“However, bringing people to justice must not itself violate the human rights of the accused,” it said in a statement issued here and urged President Zillur Rahman to commute the death sentences “as a matter of urgency”.
It also asked Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, Mujib’s elder daughter, to request the president to commute the sentences.
“Amnesty International opposes the death penalty in all cases regardless of the nature of the crime, the characteristics of the offender, or the method used by the state to kill the prisoner,” the statement said.
Bangladesh Supreme Court Thursday rejected the appeals of the five jailed convicts, upholding a previous High Court order awarding death sentences to twelve former army officers. Six of the convicted men are living abroad while one has died as a fugitive in Zimbabwe.
The five condemned convicts - retired Major Bazlul Huda, dismissed Lieutenant Colonel Syed Faruk Rahman, retired Lieutenant Colonel Sultan Shahriar Rashid Khan, retired Colonel Mohiuddin Ahmed and retired Major A.K.M. Mohiuddin Ahmed - await the gallows in Dhaka Central Jail.
“The death penalty violates the right to life as proclaimed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights,” the rights’ body said.
- Bangladesh asks Canada to deport Mujib killer - Feb 21, 2011
- Bangladesh SC upholds death sentence for Mujib's killers - Jan 27, 2010
- Bangladesh coup attempt foiled (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Five killers of Bangladesh's founding father hanged (Second Lead) - Jan 28, 2010
- Two Sheikh Mujib killers want death sentence commuted - Jan 25, 2010
- 1975 Dhaka killings: Government may appeal against accused - Jan 11, 2011
- Three Mujib killers on death row seek clemency - Jan 09, 2010
- Three Mujib killers on death row seek clemency (Lead) - Jan 09, 2010
- Death warrants issued for five Mujib killers (Lead) - Jan 03, 2010
- Move to bring six fugitive Mujib killers to Bangladesh - Jan 29, 2010
- Court issues death warrants for five Mujib killers - Jan 03, 2010
- Mujib killers don't deserve mercy: Bangladesh minister - Jan 12, 2010
- Five killers of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman hanged (Lead) - Jan 28, 2010
- Five killers of Bangladesh founder executed - Jan 28, 2010
- Interpol red alert for Mujib killers - Dec 01, 2009
Tags: amnesty international, army officers, central jail, colonel mohiuddin, convicts, death sentences, declaration of human rights, elder daughter, faruk, gallows, grave abuse, human rights watchdog, lieutenant colonel, minister sheikh hasina, mohiuddin ahmed, mujibur, rashid khan, rights of the accused, shahriar, universal declaration of human rights