Donor countries pledge $10 bn in aid to Haiti: UNApril 1st, 2010 - 12:27 pm ICT by IANS
New York, April 1 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Dozens of countries and organisations have pledged to give $10 billion to quake-hit Haiti in the next 10 years, the UN said.
Of that amount, some $5.3 billion will be provided within the next 18 months. The sum is well above the $3.9 billion sought initially for that period.
“Today, the international community has come together, dramatically, in solidarity with Haiti and its people… Today, the United Nations are united for Haiti,” the UN News Centre quoted Secretary General Ban Ki-moon as saying.
Earlier, the global body had asked immediate aid for the poverty-stricken Caribbean nation, which was hit by a devastating earthquake Jan 12. The quake and its aftershocks killed over 220,000 people in and around the capital Port-au-Prince, leaving most of the country in shambles.
“The rainy season is fast approaching. Some camps for displaced persons are at risk of flooding. Health and sanitation issues are growing more serious,” Ban said.
Haitian president Rene Preval said: “The international community has done their part. Now it is up to the Haitian people to do theirs”.
- UN calls on world to collect $1.44 bn for quake-hit Haiti - Feb 19, 2010
- Police search for fugitives from prisons in quake-hit Haiti - Jan 19, 2010
- Massive earthquake devastates Haiti (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2010
- Russia offers free university education for Haitians - Jan 26, 2010
- Haiti cholera toll rises to 2,591 - Dec 22, 2010
- Michelle Obama, Jill Biden: Surprise Visit To Haiti - Apr 14, 2010
- Quake survivors spend night in Haitian streets - Jan 15, 2010
- U.S. first lady Michelle Obama makes unannounced visit to Haiti - Apr 13, 2010
- 170,000 bodies of quake victims recovered in Haiti - Jan 29, 2010
- FBI warns Internet users of Haiti relief scams - Jan 14, 2010
- Haiti cholera toll rises to 500 - Nov 07, 2010
- Tsunami hits Chile after 8.8-magnitude quake, toll 78(Fifth Lead) - Feb 27, 2010
- Thousands in Haiti capital's streets amid death, destruction - Jan 14, 2010
- Japan quake toll rises to 61 - Mar 11, 2011
- Survival strategy movies to be shown to Haiti quake victims - Apr 03, 2010
Tags: aftershocks, ban ki moon, bn, caribbean nation, devastating earthquake, dg, displaced persons, donor countries, global body, haitian president, health and sanitation, hv, news centre, port au prince, president rene preval, rainy season, ria novosti, sanitation issues, secretary general, shambles