Dog walking ‘one of UK’s fastest-growing job’April 10th, 2011 - 6:59 pm ICT by ANI
London, April 10 (ANI): Professional dog walking has become one of the fastest growing jobs in the UK.
There are about 10,000 registered dog walkers who claim to provide scrupulous care for dogs. They charge from 10 to 30 pounds to walk a dog for an hour, inclusive of pick-up and drop-off, reports the Daily Mail.
An elite group of pet walkers in London and the South-East exist to pamper the pets of celebrity clients such as Sienna Miller - who has two rescue terrier crosses, Porgy and Bess - and Fulham footballer Danny Murphy, who has a Bernese mountain dog called Jim and a golden labrador, Henry.
Firms such as Pets In The City, run by Sarah Marris, and Very Important Pets, run by trained veterinary nurse Louise Root, belong to a premier league of companies that offer a personal one-to-one dog service for about 35 pounds.
They also offer monthly ‘gold’ packages for around 650 pounds- which include feeding, trips to the vet and even shampooing.
The firms are registered with the 6,000-member National Association of Registered Petsitters.
The organisation’s scheme offers 5 million pounds of insurance cover against a pet’s injury or theft, dog bites to passers-by or other dogs, and road accidents.
But this caring job can also have a murkier side because anyone can set up as a ‘professional’ walker.
The only strict requirement is to follow animal-welfare rules or risk prosecution with a fine of up to 20,000 pounds, plus up to 51 weeks in prison.
In the recession, unemployed people turned to dog walking for ready cash, charging from 7.50 to 20 pounds an hour. Some walk ten dogs at a time.
Dogs are often seen bundled into walkers’ vans or cars without any safety harnesses.
Roger Mugford, an animal psychologist from Chertsey, Surrey, thinks it is time dog walkers were regulated throughout the country. (ANI)
- Dog's head size predicts strength, running ability - Feb 01, 2011
- British mother, son jailed over dogs' deaths - Feb 24, 2012
- Recession affecting pets in Britain - Nov 13, 2011
- Labrador, Who Had Wolfed A Beehive, Obtains A Bizarre 'Pet Insurance' Prize - Aug 25, 2010
- Using dogs to 'sniff out' wildlife - Jan 12, 2011
- First urban flea market for pooches - Jan 13, 2012
- Jobless Briton stabs dog to death, faces jail - Jun 08, 2012
- Labrador Retriever named America's top dog - Jan 27, 2011
- Ricky Martin nominated for award for `Evita' role - Apr 28, 2012
- Emma Watson walks pink pooch - Jun 26, 2012
- Hilary Swank adopts dog - Sep 06, 2011
- Meet the dog from France who ignores orders in English language! - Mar 16, 2011
- Dog survives after being stabbed 21 times - Nov 16, 2011
- Chinese can now send off dead pets at disposal plants - Dec 20, 2011
- Dog, allergic to grass, wears boots - Jul 02, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,