Dog, trapped for five days in tunnel, savedOctober 20th, 2011 - 7:08 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 20 (IANS) A runaway dog in Britain, stuck underground in a pipe for five days, survived by drinking water from a drain filter next to where her head was trapped.
Jess, the Jack Russell dog, was found stuck fast in a nine-inch wide drainage tunnel following a massive rescue operation by fire crews, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA), local villagers and an inshore rescue team, the Daily Express reported.
They used heat-sensor equipment and sent cameras down the 650-yard pipe to try to find her.
Jess disappeared while chasing a rat, when owner Chris Lancaster, from Aldbrough, East Yorks county, had taken her three dogs for a walk last week.
The ordeal felt traumatic for Chris who had lost her husband Shaun 10 years ago, when he was killed in an explosion in a field while smoking rats out of holes.
She said: “I hate rats now - it’s so strange that they were the reason I lost Shaun and now the reason I almost lost Jess.”
- Britons held for cramming 69 animals in one house - Mar 31, 2012
- British mother, son jailed over dogs' deaths - Feb 24, 2012
- Pammie spreads Christmas cheer by visiting UK charities - Dec 31, 2010
- Recession affecting pets in Britain - Nov 13, 2011
- 13 dogs poisoned to death in Britain - May 30, 2011
- Trapped dogs survive after six days in 20ft hole - Jun 03, 2011
- Live chicken thrown at KFC staff in a Nuneaton restaurant - Jan 21, 2011
- Jobless Briton stabs dog to death, faces jail - Jun 08, 2012
- Rooting for the underdog! (Feature) - Sep 25, 2011
- Paltrow sells lemonade, cookies - Jul 08, 2011
- Boy stuck in gutter for 24 hours - Jul 20, 2012
- Woman fined $10,000 for animal cruelty - Apr 06, 2011
- Animal sanctuary that supplied owls for Potter film lands in trouble - Oct 14, 2010
- Brit dog falls off 200ft cliff, spends 6 days on bushy ledge, but survives! - May 31, 2010
- Dozens trapped in burning Mantralaya, navy called (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: 10 years, chris lancaster, cruelty to animals, daily express, dogs, drainage tunnel, drinking water, east yorks, explosion, fire crews, heat sensor, holes, inshore rescue, jack russell, jess, massive rescue operation, ordeal, prevention of cruelty to animals, rats, sensor equipment