DNA traps rapist of Hong Kong schoolgirlFebruary 24th, 2009 - 11:42 am ICT by IANS
Hong Kong, Feb 24 (DPA) A rapist was Tuesday beginning a 10-year jail term in Hong Kong after being traced by his DNA nearly a decade after attacking a 13-year-old schoolgirl.
Truck driver Chung Chi-wing, 30, posed as a policeman to lure his young victim to a parked van and violently raped her as she walked home from school on an afternoon in November 1999.
He was only identified as the attacker when a police officer found a match between DNA in the semen found in the victim and a DNA sample taken from Chung when he was arrested for car theft in 2001.
Chung, a father of two, was arrested in June last year and charged with rape even though his victim, now aged 22, could not pick him out at an identity parade.
He was convicted of rape on the DNA evidence and sentenced to 10 years in prison in the High Court at a hearing Monday where judge Peter Line said Chung deserved “no sympathy”.
- British rapist jailed after 26 years - Jan 29, 2012
- Hong Kong seizes $98 million cocaine - Jul 07, 2012
- Hong Kong detective jailed for raping woman in police station - Sep 18, 2009
- Bombay HC grants actor Shiny Ahuja bail in rape case - Apr 27, 2011
- Strauss-Kahn's semen found on maid's shirt - May 24, 2011
- 400 offenders in Britain raped again after release - Jul 16, 2012
- 'When Love Comes' wins best film at the Golden Horse award - Nov 22, 2010
- Jailed rapist released early assaults again within weeks - Jun 08, 2011
- Crime capital records five rapes in three days - Feb 28, 2012
- Zimbabwe women are raping men for ritual purposes - Oct 09, 2010
- Teenaged boy rapes minor cousin - Jul 06, 2011
- Cop suspected of raping minor sacked - Nov 17, 2010
- Two school officials dismissed for negligence in rape case - Sep 26, 2011
- Woman gangraped in power firm's housing colony, four held - Jul 04, 2011
- Delhi police arrest cab driver for raping children in New Delhi - Sep 18, 2010