Djokovic’s family to host ATP tour event in BelgradeJanuary 1st, 2009 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 1 (DPA) Novak Djokovic can officially don two hats after his family consortium will host an Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) Tour event in home town Belgrade.The world number three will leave most of the heavy organisational lifting to his relatives, but is delighted that his behind-the-scenes work over the past months finally resulted in a first tennis stop for the newest power nation in the game.
“I’m very excited that we are able to create an opportunity in Serbia to be a part of the ATP World Tour,” said Djokovic, the defending Australian Open champion.
“My family, along with myself, is also very emotional about that. Tennis is a very popular sport in my country and we are happy that having a ATP World Tour 250 event from 2009 will help us show the world the beauty of my home town Belgrade and of Serbia,” he said.
Belgrade will host the Serbia Open next May following approval from the ATP board after Djokovic’s family bought the organising rights of a bankrupt Dutch event last year.
The clay event will run from May 4.
- Djokovic dreams big in Olympic year - Apr 19, 2012
- Djokovic withdraws from China Open - Sep 29, 2011
- Djokovic wins Rogers Cup, eyes US Open - Aug 13, 2012
- Nadal gets blues over Madrid Open surface - May 05, 2012
- Djokovic unveils wax figure of himself in Serbia - Feb 10, 2012
- Djokovic criticises ATP for ignoring players' interest - May 08, 2012
- Djokovic ends seven year Federer-Nadal domination at the top - Jul 04, 2011
- Brad Drewett new ATP chief - Dec 23, 2011
- Djokovic won't defend title at Serbian Open - Apr 26, 2012
- Serbia confers top award to Djokovic - Feb 15, 2012
- Nadal wins his seventh Barcelona Open title - Apr 30, 2012
- I dare to dream: Djokovic - Feb 07, 2012
- Djokovic confident of winning maiden French Open crown - May 26, 2012
- Djokovic to play charity match in Rio - Jun 05, 2012
- Federer-Berdych set-up Madrid Open final - May 13, 2012