Divorce rate of elderly Britons increasingNovember 19th, 2011 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 19 (IANS) More and more elderly people in Britain are getting divorce, a media report said.
In 2009, about 11,500 people, over the age of 60, were granted divorce, up four percent in two years.
This contrasts with a fall in the divorce rate for all age groups of more than 11 percent, Daily Mail reported Friday.
“We are really witnessing a major social revolution, with older generations no longer behaving in the traditional manner,” the Mail quoted Ros Altmann, director general of the over-50s group Saga, as saying.
The figures, released following a parliamentary question, revealed that in 2007, 11,040 people over 60 divorced. By 2009, this had risen to 11,507.
With more older men and women returning to the dating scene, many fail to follow the recommendation to use condoms because the risk of an unwanted pregnancy is gone.
This has led to increases in sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhoea, chlamydia, genital warts, genital herpes and syphilis, the Mail said.
- 1,000 British teenagers hospitalised for sexual diseases - Aug 29, 2011
- STIs reach record levels with young people especially at risk - Aug 25, 2010
- iPhone generation find people over 50s as 'friendly, knowledgeable' - Apr 11, 2011
- Use of morning after pill worries pharmacists (Lead) - Jan 02, 2011
- Use of morning after pill concerns pharmacists - Jan 02, 2011
- Sexually transmitted infections drop in Tamil Nadu: Survey - Nov 04, 2011
- Philadelphia parents disgusted that 11 year olds are being given condoms - Apr 18, 2011
- Life quality-lows for Britons over 50 - Aug 16, 2011
- 11-year-olds in US can now order condoms via mail - Apr 15, 2011
- British firms can now fire aged workers - Jul 26, 2011
- Sex mad backpackers behind STDs crisis Down Under - Mar 28, 2010
- Sexual diseases double in over-45s in less than a decade - Jun 30, 2008
- Sexually transmitted diseases spiral in Britain - Jun 30, 2008
- Health experts blame Brits abroad for rise in sex infections - Jul 17, 2008
- Condoms use linked to reduced risk of contracting herpes simplex virus 2 - Jul 14, 2009
Tags: 50s, age groups, britons, chlamydia, condoms, contrasts, daily mail, diseases, divorce rate, generations, genital herpes, genital warts, herpes, men and women, older men, parliamentary question, saga, social revolution, traditional manner, unwanted pregnancy