Dispute surfaces in Chinese city over discarded cigarette butt for money exchangeOctober 28th, 2010 - 6:08 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct. 28 (ANI): A dispute has surfaced in the Chinese city of Xianyang over residents being offered cold hard cash for each discarded cigarette butt they pick up.
The drive, which started on September 18, was part of an effort to help Xianyang in the competition for National Health City title. The government pays locals 0.05 yuan (0.0075 dollars) for each cigarette butt they pick up from city streets.
In the past month, loyal citizens have handed over seven million cigarette butts to the government and more than 100,000 yuan has been paid out for two million butts. A shortage of funds has kept the other five million butts from being paid for.
Local leaders said they are sticking to the campaign.
The China Daily quoted Hou Xi’an, deputy head of the city office in charge of the effort, as saying: “We started the drive as part of an effort to make our city more clean and civilized, increase public environmental awareness and warn against the dangers of smoking.”Han Baofeng, deputy secretary-general of the city, told China Daily on Wednesday that the campaign will not stop until the end of December.
“We will improve the imperfect measures of the drive and continue our good efforts,” Han added. (ANI)
- Cigarette butts mean money in Chinese city - Oct 28, 2010
- 60-year-old 'stud' in pregnancy trouble! - Mar 21, 2012
- China may raise tobacco price to curb consumption - Mar 12, 2012
- Former Chinese governor gets life imprisonment for bribery - Apr 09, 2011
- World's most expensive dog costs a million pounds - Mar 16, 2011
- Chinese province spends $4mn on toilets - Mar 22, 2012
- Russian court fines man $20 mn for wildfire - Apr 10, 2012
- Chinese giant pandas to fly to Paris - Jan 10, 2012
- 1,500 kg gold from discarded phones? - Mar 29, 2012
- Abu Dhabi spreads public health awareness - Dec 11, 2011
- Chinese vehicle manufacturer's 2011 profits slump - Mar 02, 2012
- China plans a new Silk Road - Apr 15, 2011
- 2,000 years old Xi'an tomb unearthed to study Western Han Dynasty - Apr 09, 2011
- Music industry struggling in China - Jul 04, 2012
- China's smuggling kingpin gets jail for life - May 18, 2012
Tags: baofeng, china daily, chinese city, cigarette butt, cigarette butts, city streets, cold hard cash, dangers of smoking, deputy head, deputy secretary general, health city, loyal citizens, money exchange, national health, New Delhi, public environmental awareness, september 18, two million, xianyang, yuan